Bullfrog Spas

Hello, i'm a new hot tub purchaser trying to decide which hot tubs out of the thousands out there to buy.

Can anyone in the forum give me their experience with Bullfrog Spas? likes/dislikes, quality, and more importantly... is there realy a "smell/scum" issue behind the jetpacks? i've read that there is a smell/scum issue behind the jetpacks because they get no circulation and wanted to know if this is true or if by maintaining your chemicals and tub would prevent that.

Also, what's the deal with the lounge seat? i'm hearing mixed reviews that they are not worth it because you tend to "float" in the seat and you can't really lounge in it. Is this true? I would tend to believe it as it does make sense that your natural buoyancy would make you float.

thanks for any input!!!

'Philly', I'm new as well and asking all the same questions. I did go to a dealer that carried the Bullfrog and he did state that earlier versions of the jetpack may have suffered from stagnation of the water, but he showed me the new ones that include a small hose that splits off the line to divert a small amount of water to the space between the shell and the jetpack to circulate fresh water. Don't know if that's sufficient to prevent the stagnation, nor do I know how 'new' this modification is (this year's model, last year's ...)

Good luck!

I have wet tested HS envoy that has a lounge and did not like it. I tended to float and it takes up space. I have also wet tested a BF 462 which I really like. I am trying to decide between the BF 462 and HS Vanguard.

funny.... i like those two models too. but it seems like everytime i decide on two or three, I find another two or three that I like!! very tough to make a decision!! thanks for the input on the lounge seat.... i may decide not to get one at all too.

funny.... i like those two models too. but it seems like everytime i decide on two or three, I find another two or three that I like!! very tough to make a decision!! thanks for the input on the lounge seat.... i may decide not to get one at all too.

I would only get a lounge spa if I wet tested that model and really liked the lounge and I was getting a bigger spa than I really need (the lounge takes up a lot of space so it has to be extra space for me). In other words, IMO if in doubt skip the lounge.

As far as Bullfrog's Jetpacks, I think they're a great marketing tool. However, having had our Bullfrog dealer go out of business locally, I've had the occasion to talk to several Bullfrog owners over the last several months. Generally speaking, people seem to agree that they never really move the Jetpacks around, nor do they replace and upgrade them. As far as the smell/scum issue you asked about. Bullfrog did indeed have issues with stagnant water behind the jetpacks, and put in a little tube behind the packs which squirts water behind them. In theory, this would help create some water movement. In reality, Bullfrog owners tell me they still do have to clean behind the jetpacks when they drain & refill the spa to make sure there's no build up behind them. So it's just something to keep in mind.

As far as lounge seats go, don't buy one unless you know you like them. They're sort of a 50/50 thing. Some folks come into my store and tell me they specifically want one. Others who aren't sure, I try not to push a lounge on them. Most folks after owning a spa, will tell you they either like the lounge, or never use it. Some folks float out of lounges, some people don't so much. You really have to sit in a couple lounge chairs (full of water) to figure that out.

Were it me, I would look at Hot Spring specifically, and if not that I'd look at Sundance next. That's my opinion based on my experience. Though I'm very partial to Hot Spring, both because I sell/work with it, but also because I truly believe it's the best product all around.