Self Installation

stryped

My family and I are wanting to put in an above ground pool as cheaply as we can. I am handy around the house and have built several things. I am wondering if a used above ground pool system is a good value if I buy a new liner or perhaps a new one from a place like Wal Mart? I am thinking mabye a 24-27 foot pool. I can build a deck around it.

Are they hard to install? Thanks for your help!

My family and I are wanting to put in an above ground pool as cheaply as we can. I am handy around the house and have built several things. I am wondering if a used above ground pool system is a good value if I buy a new liner or perhaps a new one from a place like Wal Mart? I am thinking mabye a 24-27 foot pool. I can build a deck around it.

Are they hard to install? Thanks for your help!

IMO and limited experience is the answer is it depends on just how handy and DIY you are and if you have a couple of reasonably sturdy helpers.

Some AGPools use panels - some use a side wall that is one big roll and the big roll is really heavy and awkward to work with.

Used is okay if it is aluminum or some sort of resin. Vinyl coated galvanized steel walls will corrode and you have to usually look under the liner to see if corrosion has occured.

I would prefer to start with new in the boxes pool if you can afford it. I would suggest you look at an online vendor like www.poolproducts.com instead of Walmart - I think you can get a better price and shipping to your door is included from them - they are who we bought our last pool from - good reliable online provider.

I would NOT buy a package. IMO - pumps and filters usually included in a "package" are not sufficient.

We bought the pool and then shopped for our liner (extra depth - easy to add by digging out a hole in the ground instead of flat ground) and we also shopped for a Hayward SuperPump and a Hayward cartridge filter and in-line chlorinator and we are SO GLAD we "built" our own package and it only cost a little more than accepting the junk many pool makers bundle into their packages.

If you are good DIY with strong backs to help then you should be able to install your pool and liner and hook up input to and output from the pump and filter.

We DIY a lot of things but we had the money and are glad we paid an experienced contractor about a grand to do our installation for us BUT we have an unusual AGPool config - extra depth, center "main drain", second outlet to the pool from the pump and other "complications".

An AGPool can be everything that an in ground pool is for a fraction of the cost if you are creative.

GoodLuck

• 10 months later...

Imnay, we are thinking of buying an above ground pool package. We have upgraded to a cartridge filter and a 1 1 1/2 hp Two-speed Pump. It comes with a Hayward 100,000 btu heater (21' pool) and an Aqua Trol Salt Chloring Generator. In your opinion is that good enough? Is there anymore upgrading we should be looking at doing? Thanks.

<!--quoteo(post=82485:date=Jun 25 2009, 08:52 AM:name=stryped)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stryped @ Jun 25 2009, 08:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=82485"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My family and I are wanting to put in an above ground pool as cheaply as we can. I am handy around the house and have built several things. I am wondering if a used above ground pool system is a good value if I buy a new liner or perhaps a new one from a place like Wal Mart? I am thinking mabye a 24-27 foot pool. I can build a deck around it.

Are they hard to install? Thanks for your help!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

IMO and limited experience is the answer is it depends on just how handy and DIY you are and if you have a couple of reasonably sturdy helpers.

Some AGPools use panels - some use a side wall that is one big roll and the big roll is really heavy and awkward to work with.

Used is okay if it is aluminum or some sort of resin. Vinyl coated galvanized steel walls will corrode and you have to usually look under the liner to see if corrosion has occured.

I would prefer to start with new in the boxes pool if you can afford it. I would suggest you look at an online vendor like www.poolproducts.com instead of Walmart - I think you can get a better price and shipping to your door is included from them - they are who we bought our last pool from - good reliable online provider.

I would NOT buy a package. IMO - pumps and filters usually included in a "package" are not sufficient.

We bought the pool and then shopped for our liner (extra depth - easy to add by digging out a hole in the ground instead of flat ground) and we also shopped for a Hayward SuperPump and a Hayward cartridge filter and in-line chlorinator and we are SO GLAD we "built" our own package and it only cost a little more than accepting the junk many pool makers bundle into their packages.

If you are good DIY with strong backs to help then you should be able to install your pool and liner and hook up input to and output from the pump and filter.

We DIY a lot of things but we had the money and are glad we paid an experienced contractor about a grand to do our installation for us BUT we have an unusual AGPool config - extra depth, center "main drain", second outlet to the pool from the pump and other "complications".

An AGPool can be everything that an in ground pool is for a fraction of the cost if you are creative.

GoodLuck

• 3 weeks later...

Three years ago we purchased a used DoughBoy pool. We had to tear apart the old pool then we reinstalled it at our house (very helpful that way you know what goes where). We are big time DIYers (built our own house, addition, quonset shed, etc.) For us it saved us around $5,000 compared to getting a brand new pool. We did have to replace the liner, solar cover, winter cover and a few smaller items for setting the pool up, but in the end it was worth the savings. You definately need several buddies to help out! It is a lot of work, the hardest part for us was getting the liner done, but if you're comfortable tackling the job, go for it. Ditch the crappy Walmart pool idea. Not worth it. Real pumps and filters are a definate must!!

• 2 weeks later...

hi, we have an esther williams alum panel pool kit aprox 12x22 that is currently stored. i was wondering, could this pool be extended to the next size [like 15 x 30 ] simply by buying and adding extra panels? we were wanting to do a custom bottom shape w/a deep end so i know a special liner will be needed. the plan is to bury the pool a couple of feet & bring the deck up to it. any suggestions? thanks

• 6 months later...