Looking For A New Chlorine Option

mhugues

I have recently discovered my CYA creeping up to about 70ppm. I have also recently purchased a Hayward Chlorinator that I would like to keep in use. Can anyone suggest an alternative to Trichlor pucks that will still allow me to use my chlorinator without adding CYA?

thanks in advance,

mike

Mike,

Unfortunately, there are none. It's not that Trichlor contains chlorine and Cyanuric Acid (CYA) separately mixed together into a puck. The chlorine is chemically combined with CYA forming a new chemical that is Trichlor itself.

The only other "pucks" or "tablets" are Cal-Hypo, but they fall apart quickly leaving a binder residue and they increase Calcium Hardness (CH). They also absolutely, positively cannot be used in the same chlorinator as Trichlor pucks or a violent chemical reaction may result. They require their own special feeder, but as I say it's not very practical.

You can read How to Chlorinate Your Pool to learn about different forms of chlorine. The following are chemical facts independent of concentration of product or of pool volume:

For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.

For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.

For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by 7 ppm.

You can use 10%/12.5% chlorinating liquid or 6% unscented bleach which won't add to either CYA nor CH, but you'll need to add it every day or two unless you have a pool cover in which case you can add it around twice a week. If you want to continue to use Trichlor and not worry about the CYA level as much, then you can use a supplemental algaecide (weekly PolyQuat 60) or a phosphate remover, both at extra cost. You can read The Pool School for more info on how to take care of your pool.

Richard