Just What Does It Cost To Heat A Pool?

gabagoo

So this morning I wake up and watch the local morning shows and I see that today is going to go up to 24celcius and be sunny so before heading off to work I crank the heater up to 80. The whole day the sun never, not once showed its face and the temp was 16. I got home all pissed off and the heater only made it to 77. Well I went in anyways so not to waste the effort to heat it although it was a bit chilly. finished off in the spa to bring my body temperature back to normal. Just a ballpark figure is what I wonder it cost to have the heater run continually for nearly 10 hours. We have a Hayward 250 H heater. any guesses? 10 bucks? 20?

Perday??? No idea. When I used a heater, it added $70-$80 per month to heat mine and it didn't even really *heat* anything. Mine was a gas heater.

So this morning I wake up and watch the local morning shows and I see that today is going to go up to 24celcius and be sunny so before heading off to work I crank the heater up to 80. The whole day the sun never, not once showed its face and the temp was 16. I got home all pissed off and the heater only made it to 77. Well I went in anyways so not to waste the effort to heat it although it was a bit chilly. finished off in the spa to bring my body temperature back to normal. Just a ballpark figure is what I wonder it cost to have the heater run continually for nearly 10 hours. We have a Hayward 250 H heater. any guesses? 10 bucks? 20?

Dunno what you pay for therms, but probably using your heater probably cost you anywhere from $2-5.

When our pool was installed I knew nothing about pools - what I've learned since then I've learned primarily from this forum as well as troublefreepool.com. One intersting thing I learned re: heaters is that the majority of people who once owned a pool equipped with a heater, and later moved and had a pool installed at their new home, opted not to have a heater installed.

We're in the StL area, and our pool sits in a walkout, with a perfect, unobstructed SSW exposure that is surrounded by the house and tall masonry walls on either side. Air temps easily hover between low-90's and 100 on sunny days from July-Aug and are plenty warm in June and September as well.

When our pool was installed in late 2007 I thought I'd use the heater to extend my swim season from mid-May through mid-October. I've since realized that the cost of doing that depends heavily on the seasonal weather. October of 2007 (a month after the pool was completed) was abnormally warm and I was able to use the heater to swim through Halloween; this spring has been abnormally cool. The notion of extending my season for 45-60 days aside, I've decided the heater is still worthwhile because it allows me to heat the pool on target days, esp. weekends for the kids.

So don't sweat it. You can use the heater for after-work evening swims and weekends at a relatively low cost, especially on a relative scale given the current economy - a few $ a day is alot cheaper than a family vacation.

1 btu heats 1 pound of water 1 degree per hour.

8.3 pounds per gallon of water.

1 cubic ft. of natural gas = 1,075 btus

1 therm = @100,000 btus

250,000 btu heater uses 2.5 therms per hour.

1 gallon propane = 91,000 btus

Gallons X 8.3 = pounds of water

Heater BTU rating divided by effeciency rating, divided by lbs. of water = temp rise per hour

Remember, this is laboratory conditions, so your actual cost/heat time will vary, depending on weather/wind/air temp, etc.

1 therm = @100,000 btus

Heater BTU rating divided by effeciency rating, divided by lbs. of water = temp rise per hour

Remember, this is laboratory conditions, so your actual cost/heat time will vary, depending on weather/wind/air temp, etc.

hell I am no scientist so I will hpefully think 5 bucks is the correct answer...lol That I can swalllow. I live in Canada and although it typically is in the 80's and 90's during july and august, this year so far has been pitiful and we have not even turned the AC onin the house yet. The pool is surrounded by cedar trees and 2 houses but we do get quite a bit of sun during the day however around 5 or so the sun crosses over a corner of my house and blocks out the pool for about an hour then returns again.

the solar cover blew off about a month ago and I still need to repair it and currently use the pill to try and save evaporation...no clue if it works as I have not owned a pool long enough to determine much of anything so far. This weekend I have to repair the cover.

I am in the exact same boat and our weather here in Colorado is very similar to yours.

It's awfully hard for me to want to use my pool heater when the temps aren't even getting up to the mid-70's..

This is why it's hard to justify owning a swimming pool in Colorado. The rainy and cooler weather we are getting this year is actually a return of normalcy for us. The last 7-8 years, more people than ever started buying AC in CO.. Things really DID get hotter and drier, but this seems to be a return to cooler days again in late spring / early summer.

1 therm = @100,000 btus

hell I am no scientist so I will hpefully think 5 bucks is the correct answer...lol That I can swalllow. I live in Canada and although it typically is in the 80's and 90's during july and august, this year so far has been pitiful and we have not even turned the AC onin the house yet. The pool is surrounded by cedar trees and 2 houses but we do get quite a bit of sun during the day however around 5 or so the sun crosses over a corner of my house and blocks out the pool for about an hour then returns again.

the solar cover blew off about a month ago and I still need to repair it and currently use the pill to try and save evaporation...no clue if it works as I have not owned a pool long enough to determine much of anything so far. This weekend I have to repair the cover.

I am in the exact same boat and our weather here in Colorado is very similar to yours.

It's awfully hard for me to want to use my pool heater when the temps aren't even getting up to the mid-70's..

This is why it's hard to justify owning a swimming pool in Colorado. The rainy and cooler weather we are getting this year is actually a return of normalcy for us. The last 7-8 years, more people than ever started buying AC in CO.. Things really DID get hotter and drier, but this seems to be a return to cooler days again in late spring / early summer.

1 therm = @100,000 btus

global warming? bah humbug