Intex Test Strip Question

Hello, new to the board with a question about Intex test strips. We recently bought the 32' x 16' x 52" ultra frame pool from Intex and love it. We have the salwater system and 4000 gallon filter. Anyway we got the test strips that came with the pool, the three way version. They measure Free chlorine, ph and total alkalinity. Anyway, the chlorine test range goes from a light tan to a dark green, with varying shades of green in between. However when i do the test it comes back brown/red. i don't know if that means i'm too low or too high. Any ideas? Thanks!

Hello, new to the board with a question about Intex test strips. We recently bought the 32' x 16' x 52" ultra frame pool from Intex and love it. We have the salwater system and 4000 gallon filter. Anyway we got the test strips that came with the pool, the three way version. They measure Free chlorine, ph and total alkalinity. Anyway, the chlorine test range goes from a light tan to a dark green, with varying shades of green in between. However when i do the test it comes back brown/red. i don't know if that means i'm too low or too high. Any ideas? Thanks!

The test strips suck.

Buy and learn to use a real titration test kit. The Taylor brand ($50) is very good.

Trust me it's well worth the investment!

The test strips suck.

Buy and learn to use a real titration test kit. The Taylor brand ($50) is very good.

Trust me it's well worth the investment!

Thank you. I went out and bought the HTP test kit and it showed taht the chlorine was slightly high. I'll check out the Taylor brand. Thanks.

Specifically, you can get the Taylor K-2006 test kit at a good online price here or the TF100 kit from tftestkits.net here with the latter kit having 36% more volume of reagents so is less expensive per test. Both of these use the FAS-DPD chlorine test shown in a demo here. It can measure with an accuracy of 0.2 ppm for a 25 ml sample or 0.5 ppm for a 10 ml sample and can measure up to 50 ppm FC so is useful when shocking a pool (the standard DPD chlorine test bleaches out above 10 ppm).