Red Spots On The Skin After Spa Use

stevo7

Hi all.

I have recently bought a spa in the last few months and have a problem. When my wife and kids use the spa, they develop red spots on their skin after a day or so. We have also had some of our friends kids get the same problem after use. I also notice i get an itch in my toes when in the water.

I use Bromine tablets in a dispenser and Lithium Hypochlorite as a shock treatment about once a week. I am thinking one of these is causing the reaction. Does anyone have some tips for me to help alleviate this problem or different products to try?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Stevo

Well, IMHO I don't believe it's a "reaction". Reactions happen to one or a select few using the tub, not to everyone. It sounds to me like you have "something" in your tub causing an infection.

If it were me, I would do a Decontamination and start over. Check out my link below on how to do it. Then you need to make sure your tub doesn't become contaminated in the future. Check out my guide below for info on using Chlorine. If you want to use Bromine, there is a link in there also.

Good luck!

General rule of thumb is if the "reaction" occurs within a few hours of use, it's more likely a reaction or sensitivity to some chemical. If it occurs more than 24 hours after use, it's a more likely bacterial infection.

General rule of thumb is if the "reaction" occurs within a few hours of use, it's more likely a reaction or sensitivity to some chemical. If it occurs more than 24 hours after use, it's a more likely bacterial infection.

This link gives a chart describing what you wrote and some other differentiating characteristics between rashes from a chemical reaction vs. a bacterial infection.