Vacuum Problems

teedoff

ok quick question. I have tried to vacuum 4 times today and each time I cant get the vacuum line to seal. It will vacuum for about a minute then lose vacuum. Not sure if this is the problem, but what is the pressure on my gauge supposed to read? it stays around 22 pnds right now. I might be wrong but I thought it shouls be around 12 or so. I have backwashed several times as well before I tried to vacuum. Thanks for the help!

guess I should maybe specify a couple more things. When I set up my vacuum, I hold the end that goes into my skimmer basket on top of the return so as to fill the vacuum line up with water. SO thats not an issue, Just to clarify that before someone says Im not priming my vacuum line properly..lol thanks again!

Try identifying and closing the ball valve(s) that controls your main drains halfway, see if that fixes it.

Pressure gauge readings can vary according to the HP of your pump and the diameter of your plumbing (usually 2" or 1.5"). So what you really need to now as a point of reference is the pressure reading when your filter valve is set to the filter position w/ a recently cleaned filter. I have a 1.5HP Pentair WhisperFlo and 1.5" plumbing (I know I should have 2", that's on the long list of complaints I have w/ my pool builder - wish I'd known about this site, and pools generally, before we had a pool installed). Also, I have a sand filter - Pentair SD 80. My pressure gauge reads 20-22psi when filter is clean and top-mount valve is set to filter.

Oh, finally, do your place the hose end directly into the skimmer box, or use a vacuum plate that sits inside/atop your skimmer? If the latter, the seal might be old - hence replace the plate (maybe $10).