What Gunk In My Skimmer Sock Can Be This Thick?

jkusmier

Peeled up both ends of the cover and vacuumed and brushed this afternoon. Left the skimmer sock on and had to stop and empty/rinse the skimmer sock each time I lost suction - three times total. The third time, there weren't many leaves in the sock - just brown, slimy muck. I was surprised that I couldn't lift the basket from the well - had to close the skimmer valve each time to break the suction seal. Just checked the skimmer sock a few minutes ago, and again could not remove the basket without closing the skimmer valve - even though it contained no leaves, just a thin layer of gunk. What is this stuff that is evidently forming a watertight seal? I've never experienced that before. I added linear quat a few times in the off season to combat algae growth - could that be the culprit? I'll check it again in the morning. The valves for my mains are wide open, so I guess I don't have to worry about my pump burning out if the sock gets gummed up again while I'm at work one day. Any ideas? This is weird.

Peeled up both ends of the cover and vacuumed and brushed this afternoon. Left the skimmer sock on and had to stop and empty/rinse the skimmer sock each time I lost suction - three times total. The third time, there weren't many leaves in the sock - just brown, slimy muck. I was surprised that I couldn't lift the basket from the well - had to close the skimmer valve each time to break the suction seal. Just checked the skimmer sock a few minutes ago, and again could not remove the basket without closing the skimmer valve - even though it contained no leaves, just a thin layer of gunk. What is this stuff that is evidently forming a watertight seal? I've never experienced that before. I added linear quat a few times in the off season to combat algae growth - could that be the culprit? I'll check it again in the morning. The valves for my mains are wide open, so I guess I don't have to worry about my pump burning out if the sock gets gummed up again while I'm at work one day. Any ideas? This is weird.

From what I understand it's algae! You can't see it in the water because it's tiny particles, but when you bring it all together it's a lot of gunk. That's what's nice about the skimmer socks...if you have a DE Filter, those algae particles will clog it up and you gotta clean it out. But if you use the skimmer sock, it'll be caught there, saving you from having to clean the DE Filter.

If it's algae, it's DEAD algae. I've nuked three times w/ lithium since starting the equipment a week ago, and the water temp has now breached 60F - so my IntelliChlor is up and running. No more problems w/ the sock, I guess most of what I brushed up has been filtered out. Will backwash the filter this weekend - no pressure rise, but I'm sure it's dirty. Thanks for the reply!

• 4 weeks later...
The third time, there weren't many leaves in the sock - just brown, slimy muck.

Sounds like the stuff that was in our pool when it was opened after it was shocked and flocked. There was stuff floating on top that looked like the slimy stuff that comes off spaghetti; it was dead algae. yummy - not. :wacko: