Trouble With My Hot Tub!

optimum

There is not enough space here to tell you how much trouble i have had with my sundance hot tub since the end of December 08 ! I am at the point that i am really, really sorry i purchase this $14,000.00 optima! We use to have a really old hot tub and had no trouble at all.

Now it is April 12th 09 and we have fill our tub four times, yesterday being the 4th. To say the least we are not happy at all.

This morning the temperature is bang on the 101 and when i opened the cover the water is really cloudy. After filling yesterday for the 4th time in 3 1/2 months our nature 2 ozone system is not working this morning. I followed the rules again, for filling;

start up

1. add prevent 11 ( 120 ml per 1000 L ) wait one hour

2. Add chlor-aid ( 1/4 cap ) to activate Nature 2

3. Add ultra spa ( 200g per 1000L )

4. 24 hours later balance Calcium, Alkalinity, ph

The first dealer changed our ozone system once already. Now it was on last night and this morning its a no go! I am ready to throw it away and just use chlorine pucks for goodness sake. They say that you use very little chemicals with the nature system but that is a bunch of crap as far as i have found.

My husband wanted to purchase another hot tub but i wanted to purchase the optima with the relaxing foot massager i am very sorry to say that i got my way ( most times i like that but this time i wish he got his way ).

We do have well water and purchased one of the pre filters to fill the tub with this time. It took forever to fill the tub yesterday.

Can anyone help me? I am ready to sell this sundance spa and go buy a cheaper one.

Thanks Optimum

Your water problems have nothing to do with your spa. Cloudy water happens either when your water is not balanced, or there isn't enough sanitizer being used. Ozone will help oxidize organic waste, but will not kill bugs (sanitize). You can't (shouldn't) rely on them anyway, because over time they will stop working and you won't even know it.

If you really want to do this right, I suggest draining and starting over. If you have a water softener, use the water coming from that. You're going to need a Drop Test Kit, such as the Taylor K-2006. Then you need to measure your tap water pH, TA, CH. Your Calcium should be low if you have a water softener, so you'll need to add Calcium Increaser.

Read my Maintenance Guide below where it explains how to balance your water and sanitize your tub using Chlorine. Once you learn how to do that, you can add Nature 2 into the mix if you want to use less Chlorine. However, you may decide not to bother with N2, because your water will be so pristine.

Happy Easter!

Thanks Nitro; Means a lot that you responded to me. I do not know where to purchase the kit you mentioned. I live in Ontario, i take it you live in the US?? I do have another question perhaps you would know the answer. When i take the filter out to clean it what chemical can i use to clean it? Muratic acid? Of course diluted? Or is there another product you can suggest? Thanks again

There is not enough space here to tell you how much trouble i have had with my sundance hot tub since the end of December 08 ! I am at the point that i am really, really sorry i purchase this $14,000.00 optima! We use to have a really old hot tub and had no trouble at all.

Now it is April 12th 09 and we have fill our tub four times, yesterday being the 4th. To say the least we are not happy at all.

This morning the temperature is bang on the 101 and when i opened the cover the water is really cloudy. After filling yesterday for the 4th time in 3 1/2 months our nature 2 ozone system is not working this morning. I followed the rules again, for filling;

start up

1. add prevent 11 ( 120 ml per 1000 L ) wait one hour

2. Add chlor-aid ( 1/4 cap ) to activate Nature 2

3. Add ultra spa ( 200g per 1000L )

4. 24 hours later balance Calcium, Alkalinity, ph

The first dealer changed our ozone system once already. Now it was on last night and this morning its a no go! I am ready to throw it away and just use chlorine pucks for goodness sake. They say that you use very little chemicals with the nature system but that is a bunch of crap as far as i have found.

My husband wanted to purchase another hot tub but i wanted to purchase the optima with the relaxing foot massager i am very sorry to say that i got my way ( most times i like that but this time i wish he got his way ).

We do have well water and purchased one of the pre filters to fill the tub with this time. It took forever to fill the tub yesterday.

Can anyone help me? I am ready to sell this sundance spa and go buy a cheaper one.

Thanks Optimum

Thanks Nitro; Means a lot that you responded to me. I do not know where to purchase the kit you mentioned. I live in Ontario, i take it you live in the US?? I do have another question perhaps you would know the answer. When i take the filter out to clean it what chemical can i use to clean it? Muratic acid? Of course diluted? Or is there another product you can suggest? Thanks again

You may have to order the kit online, which will be more expensive shipping to Canada. However, it will be the best investment for your tub that you will ever make. To be honest, without it, you will have a hard time maintaining your water.

The best thing to use to clean your filter is Trisodium Phosphate (TSP) which is found in some dishwasher detergent. However, being in Canada, I'm not sure what's available. You might find a regular filter cleaner in your local spa/pool store.

Don't use acid unless you have scale deposits on your filter. If you do have scale deposits, make sure you clean the filter with a filter cleaner before using acid, or you wil ruin it.

You may have to order the kit online, which will be more expensive shipping to Canada. However, it will be the best investment for your tub that you will ever make. To be honest, without it, you will have a hard time maintaining your water.

The best thing to use to clean your filter is Trisodium Phosphate (TSP) which is found in some dishwasher detergent. However, being in Canada, I'm not sure what's available. You might find a regular filter cleaner in your local spa/pool store.

Don't use acid unless you have scale deposits on your filter. If you do have scale deposits, make sure you clean the filter with a filter cleaner before using acid, or you wil ruin it.

Thanks Nitro, you are amazing!!! I will try to get these things and i will post you on how its going.

I do not know where to purchase the kit you mentioned. I live in Ontario...

I'm also a Canadian (Edmonton) and have found that the Taylor kits are way overpriced up here. You should try phoning all the nearby spa stores and ask if they sell Taylor water testing kits (also ask their price for their filter cleaner). Another option is to order online. The best price I've seen is from Apolla Pools. They currently charge $143.50 + $21.95 shipping for the K-2006 test kit, but you can actually buy the individual components for close to $100, by starting with a K-1004 kit and adding on the FAS-DPD (R-0870, R-0871) and the calcium hardness (R0009, R0010, R0011). For me, test strips give an accurate enough reading on the calcium hardness, and it doesn't need to be checked very often as it doesn't change very much. So if you exclude that, then the total is only $63.30 and the shipping only $12.95. Plus, the K-1004 includes the regular DPD test, which isn't as accurate as FAS-DPD but works well enough to tell if your chlorine/bromine levels are ok.

If you decide to go with Apollo, you may want to also add an extra bottle or two of the R-0014 pH indicator, as the K-1004 kit only comes with 22mL and it will run out fairly quick (especially if you're trying to get the pH balanced).

Your water problems have nothing to do with your spa. Cloudy water happens either when your water is not balanced, or there isn't enough sanitizer being used. Ozone will help oxidize organic waste, but will not kill bugs (sanitize). You can't (shouldn't) rely on them anyway, because over time they will stop working and you won't even know it.

If you really want to do this right, I suggest draining and starting over. If you have a water softener, use the water coming from that. You're going to need a Drop Test Kit, such as the Taylor K-2006. Then you need to measure your tap water pH, TA, CH. Your Calcium should be low if you have a water softener, so you'll need to add Calcium Increaser.

Read my Maintenance Guide below where it explains how to balance your water and sanitize your tub using Chlorine. Once you learn how to do that, you can add Nature 2 into the mix if you want to use less Chlorine. However, you may decide not to bother with N2, because your water will be so pristine.

Happy Easter!

I agree here. I don't think there is enough sanitation for your spa. With a good simple routine, an Optima should be very easy to maintain. I do believe, though, that the 08 Optima uses a throw away filter and should not be cleaned. Please check your owners manual for proper filter maintenance.