Chlorine, Bromine, Baqua, Or Something Else

My wife and I have owned a Hotsprings Jettsetter spa for about seven years now. We had always used Baqua Spa which came with the tub. It gave me dry itchy skin and so I only get in a few times a year. Neither of us cared for the odor. For the past several months we tried a natural solution of seaweed enzymes from a natural hot tub company which gave both of us rashes. I do not recommend that product for anyone. The directions were difficult to interpret, it was costly, and difficult to maintain clear water.

So now we are back to square one. Next week I'll dump the water, go through the cleaning process, and begin with something else, or just go back to Baqua Spa for my wife and I'll give up on ever enjoying the hot tub.

I would like some feedback from people and to know of their experiences with the variety of spa chemicals on the market. There seem to be three heavily advertised types, bromine, chlorine, and baqua spa. There may be others as well.

Let me know what you think and what your advice is.

Thanks much,

Mark

You'll get a lot of different opinions, but let me give you mine.

FORGET Baqua Spa!

If it's just going to be you and your wife, I recommend Nature2. It is a mineral (Silver) system that is considered a "LOW" Chlorine method. You still need some Chlorine, but not as much (0.5-1ppm) for the two of you. If you have guests, I recommend adding more Chlroine (3-6ppm).

HERE, is a post that describes the Chlorine method. If you decide to use N2, just use less Chlorine, and more MPS. Everything else still applies.

If you don't like using Chlorine, you can always switch to Bromine. But I would definitely try Chlorine first, because once you go Bromine you can't go back (without a water change).

I use chlorine, actually Nitro and Chemgeek's method of starting with dichlor until the CYA level is around 30 ppm and then dose with Chlorox bleach after every soak.

Link here:

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13634

My wife and I have been very happy with it, no chemical smells and no rashes or itching.

Dave

Thanks Nitro. I would rather have spa owners' opinions than people who sell spa chemicals. Your is most appreciated. I'll look into Nature2 and add it to my list.

Mark

FORGET Baqua Spa!

If it's just going to be you and your wife, I recommend Nature2. It is a mineral (Silver) system that is considered a "LOW" Chlorine method. You still need some Chlorine, but not as much (0.5-1ppm) for the two of you. If you have guests, I recommend adding more Chlroine (3-6ppm).

HERE, is a post that describes the Chlorine method. If you decide to use N2, just use less Chlorine, and more MPS. Everything else still applies.

If you don't like using Chlorine, you can always switch to Bromine. But I would definitely try Chlorine first, because once you go Bromine you can't go back (without a water change).

Thanks Nitro. I would rather have spa owners' opinions than people who sell spa chemicals. Your is most appreciated. I'll look into Nature2 and add it to my list.

Nature2 is a Silver stick that allows you to use less Chlorine. That doesn't mean No Chlorine. Think of it as a backup. Everything in my post still applies.

Just remember this, you're better off using too much Chlorine at first and lower the dosage, than to use too little and raise it. Too much means you smell chlorine. Too little means you get a skin (and possibly worse) infection.

Some us us spa chemical dealers are not bad people :huh::D

Nature2 is a Silver stick that allows you to use less Chlorine. That doesn't mean No Chlorine. Think of it as a backup. Everything in my post still applies.

Just remember this, you're better off using too much Chlorine at first and lower the dosage, than to use too little and raise it. Too much means you smell chlorine. Too little means you get a skin (and possibly worse) infection.

I will have to say, too little chlorine also produces a strong chlorine smell, along with the chance of getting waterborn illnesses

Some us us spa chemical dealers are not bad people :huh::D

I agree. I just wish all dealers were like you. :)

I will have to say, too little chlorine also produces a strong chlorine smell.

True! And is probably the biggest mistake people make using Chlorine, which then turns them off.

I bought a used tub and the prev owners gave me a big bucket of baqua spa chemicals with it. So far (4th day) I am less than thrilled. I appear to have everything right (could possibly use a little ph adjustement) but every time I run the jets I get nasty orangish gunk building up along the waterline that I have to scrub off. I definitely do not have a chlorine odor - but when in the tub there is a distinct smell to the bubbles.

I am not sure I'll make it 2 weeks with baqua. What is the downside to chlorine other than the smell? To be honest I kind of like the chlorine smell, LOL.

I bought a used tub and the prev owners gave me a big bucket of baqua spa chemicals with it. So far (4th day) I am less than thrilled. I appear to have everything right (could possibly use a little ph adjustement) but every time I run the jets I get nasty orangish gunk building up along the waterline that I have to scrub off. I definitely do not have a chlorine odor - but when in the tub there is a distinct smell to the bubbles.

I am not sure I'll make it 2 weeks with baqua. What is the downside to chlorine other than the smell? To be honest I kind of like the chlorine smell, LOL.

The orange may be iron in the water, it may also be from Baqa goop. Althoughh i do not care for Baqa products, if this is iron you will have the same issue with any sanitizer. Your first step is to find out if you have metals in your water. If you do change from Baqa, befor you drain th tub I would suggest running swirl away or another plumbing line cleaner through the tub for at least 24 hours to get the Baqa out of the lines, and purchase a new filter.

The orange gunk sounds like Baqua goop, not the metals. My advice is to switch sanitation methods to either Chlorine or Bromine. I would toss out that bucket of Baqua, and never look back. If you're having problems now, they will only get worse.

The disadvantage of Chlorine is that you need to add Chlorine more often. i.e. every 2-3 days as opposed to every week or so with Bromine. However, Chlorine is cheaper and easier to use. It forces (and allows) you to completely control your tub. Think of Chlorine like a manual stick shift in a car, and Bromine is more like an automatic. Also, if you use Chlorine correctly it has very little smell.

If you need help changing over from Buqua, let us know.

Yes, that would be a PH problem. We had the same difficulty in the beginning with baqua spa, an orange gunk around the the waterline. But once we got the ph under control that went away. Also, as I recall, Baqua changed their PH recommendations. So make sure they are current. I just didn't like the itchy skin Baqua gave me and my wife didnt like the smell. That's why we're changing to something else.

I'm a spa owner and I've used N2 since Oct. I'm doing a water change at this very moment and will be adding a new N2 cartridge. I change my water every 2-3 months. I have been using the N2 chlorine recipe instead of N2 and MPS. This time, I'm going to try the traditional N2 recipe using MPS (after shocking w/dichlor to 10ppm of course).

Mark

FORGET Baqua Spa!

If you are going to the N2?MPS recipe, bear in mind they say use dichlor "as needed". If you speak with the people at N2, they suggest maintaining a risdual of .5, which is somewhat difficult to do. Our customers have found that using MPS at each use, and shocking weekly with dichlor works well for them without building up the CYA. We also have them using sea klear all natural clrifier weekly to help pick up any small particles.

• 4 weeks later...

I hate it when someone posts a question on a forum, people offer answers, and the person asking the question never follows up. So, I'm following up on our decision and results.

First I want to thank those who gave their opinions. Also I didn't mean to offend any dealers. We have had a few issues with ours in the first few years of owning the tub. I know that there are many good dealers out there.

We opted for the Nature 2 silver system. It seemed the easiest to maintain with fewer chemicals to add. I did purchase the other chemicals at the same place I purchases the Nature 2. Basically it's a chlorine based approach. Simply add a specified amount of one after each soak. On weekends a clarifier and a small amount of shock. Monitor the PH and hardness and it's all done.

So far the PH and hardness have remained steady and we're going on about three weeks now. There is a bit of a chlorine smell, something like a swimming pool but not as strong. It's far better than the baqua smell. I've been in about four times now and haven't gotten that dry itchy skin.

So, as far as I can see, we have a winner.

Again, thank you for your input.

There is a bit of a chlorine smell, something like a swimming pool but not as strong.

Interesting! I would think there would be no Chlorine smell. I use only Chlorine, and I barely have a chlorine smell. What level do you keep your FC at while soaking?