Good Tub Vs. Good Dealer

lparsons

When my wife and I started shopping for a hot tub after moving, we pretty much already knew what tub we wanted. So we looked for a dealer that carried the tub we wanted (call it tub from vendor A) in the area; unfortunately there was only one such dealer in this area. During the shopping process, we also found a different dealer who had a tub from a different vendor that we also liked (call it tub from vendor B), though not as much as the tub we really wanted.

And the experience, even as casual shoppers, could hardly have been more different between the two dealers. Dealer for vendor A was casual to the point of ignoring us. Employees seemed uninterested and very few tubs were displayed (even fewer were connected or filled with water). Dealer for vendor B was professional but never pushy. Employees were dressed like professional retail employees and tubs were set up nicely.

We purchased tub from vendor A. I think we made a terrible mistake here.

Don't get me wrong, we love our tub. We actually ended up buying a tub from manufacturer A (though a different model than what we first had in mind) from the dealer who carried tubs from manufacturer A.

Delivery was slow and uncommitted. I recall it was rescheduled at least once, and I had to call them more than once to check on the status prior to delivery. Random group of guys in t-shirts with a pickup truck brought the tub to us, though at least they did the install. Same group of guys did not have all the equipment they needed to set everything up; they borrowed a hacksaw from me for the cover lifter setup (a minor annoyance as of course I got the hacksaw back). Installed tub had a bent cover (foam core on one side), it took several months before they replaced the foam core as promised. When I called with tub problems, they told me to talk to "the spa guy" at the store, who was nearly impossible to get ahold of and never actually came out to see the tub.

Newest dealer problem bothers me a little more. We have a water-logged foam core on a tub that is less than 2 years old. I contacted the manufacturer and they said it is covered under warranty. Dealer is dragging their feet on the issue, even after I gave them the contact information for the customer service rep I talked to from the manufacturer. Dealer left nebulous voicemail for me after I called them a second time and has done nothing so far.

Moral of the story: I would advise getting your second-favorite tub over your favorite, if the second-favorite has a better dealer. You shouldn't have to contact your dealer much after you buy your tub, but if you do, you want to know that they will actually support you and not hinder you.