Ch Test Bleaching Out?

Vermonter

Hello everyone... does anyone have any idea why my CH test would fail? I add 5 drops of the Indicator to 25 ml of water (it's an HTH drop-based test kit, the indicator is Triethanolamine), and it goes clear when I give it a swirl. I know there's CH in there... I just added 11 oz of Hardness Increaser, and there's no precipitate. This is a new fill, and it did the same thing on the last fill... the CH showed up on the test strips I had, however. I'm wondering if Bromine cancels it out, or perhaps the Calcium/Scale inhibitor I am using? The Calcium/Scale is 1-Hydroxyethane-1,1 Diphosphonic Acid, if that helps. It's really frustrating, because I have no idea what my CH level actually is (though I have an idea of where it should be)... Thanks in advance-

Tony

Update: It seems to have worked today just fine, but I am still curious why this happens. On at least one bottle of Hardness Increaser I've used the directions suggested not adding it to your hot tub within 24 hours of adjusting your pH. I wonder if the test could somehow be "fooled" by the adding of acid or base, as well? I dunno, just a thought.

I don't know what's going on and I don't have any contacts at HTH to help you. If it were a Taylor test kit, then they have contact info and have been helpful in the past.