Aeration Issue

First and foremost I would like to thank everyone one the site who helps us newbies get our water issues sorted out. I have found this site to be the greatest asset I have found on the net to date, when i comes to pool/spa water management.

Here is my current dilemma, after hours and hours of reading post, I can't seem to find the answer to my current issue. I am in the process of switching over to Nitro's/Chem Geek's bleach method, however I can't seem to get my PH to go above 7.0. My TA is stable at 70, CH is 160, TDS 316 but PH is only 7.0. I have aerated with all three pumps running and air on, but PH just doesn't want to go up. I have even added PH plus, but I am a little leary here as this defeats the purpose of lowering the TA in the first place. My original well water was at a TA of 140 so it has come down nicely, I just can't get this aeration thing to work.

Once I start to add bleach (tomorrow) will my PH be more likely to climb from aeration?

With regard to borate, I haven't added any yet but I am planning on adding a commercial PH Neutral Brand; am I right in thinking I shouldn't add any until I get the PH up a bit higher as this will lock in the PH. If the Ph is more susceptible to aeration after the addition of bleach I should add them after I get the desired PH. Is this thought process correct?

Would an ozonator prevent the PH from going up from aeration?

Is there times when you just can't get aeration to work? Has anyone had similar experiences?

Am I missing something here?! :huh:

I am really baffled here, and would love to sort this one out. Any insight anyone can provide would be great! Thanks,

T

Are you using Dichlor as your source of chlorine? If so, then its usage is acidic. When you add it the pH doesn't change much, but as the chlorine gets used up the pH gets lowered, so your aeration may just be keeping up with what would otherwise be a drop in pH. When you switch to using bleach, then the chlorine usage is close to pH neutral so then you'll see the effect of aeration and probably see the pH rise.

Richard

I'd say after you start using bleach for a week or two, you should have a better idea of your pH level. I believe it will start to rise shortly there after. Just keep an eye on it.

Also, I would wait until your pH is 7.6 before you add Borates to your tub. There is no use adding it if your pH is below 7.4. It will just be harder to raise it.

I'd say after you start using bleach for a week or two, you should have a better idea of your pH level. I believe it will start to rise shortly there after. Just keep an eye on it.

Also, I would wait until your pH is 7.6 before you add Borates to your tub. There is no use adding it if your pH is below 7.4. It will just be harder to raise it.

Richard and Nitro,

Thanks for the feed back. I was thinking that might be the case, but it makes me feel better hearing it from the pros!

My Ph is doing exactly as you stated Richard. Yesterday was my last day for dichlor, I'll keep you posted and let you know how the

switch to bleach goes. No borates until I get the PH up there a bit. I'll definetely follow your advice. I'll post the results.

Thanks again!

T