Brown Water After Adding Chlorine

Hey All,

I am new to the forum recently and to the bleach method. As some of you probably read in my last post I was a little confused with the whole process.....to say the least. But with the help of pros like chem geek and nitro we worked through it.

New problem now however. My water is brown, supposedly from the iron in the water (filled from well and used the pre filter) I added some mineral conditioner at the start (best defense from arctic) to help coat the mineral to protect the equipment or atleast this is what I was told. After talking to a few local dealers here were their suggestions:

Drain tub, start over but use a ppruduct like illiminate 1 first,

Replace current filter with one of the disposable ones that are finer this will suposedly remove the brown.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is this information accurate? What do you think is the best way ahead?

Thanks in advance for your input.

T

Cocoa, what is your TA/pH at today?

Also, do you have a Water Softener?

Hi Nitro,

PH seems stable at around 7.2, TA 60. Water is still discolored. I don't use a water softner. From all the post I have been reading, it seems there might be a reaction between the product I added to help reduce mineral issues and the addition of chlorine. Not sure. My filter is picking up some brownish stuff, iron I am guessing. This would kind of make sense with the one spa gent I spoke with (putting in the finer filter would remove the iron, kind of like a sand filter system removes the iron in a pool...so I've read). I really don't want to empty the water though, it seems like a total waste as I just put it in and haven't even been in the tub yet. What do you think?

Can I still add my two daily tsp of dichlor or will this make the problem worse?

Can I add more Iron (metal) remover to the mix or is it too late because the dichlor has already been in?

So frustrating because the water was crystal clear when I put it in.

Thanks for your input.

T

That is correct, I do not have a water softener.

Too bad, because a water softener would remove the Iron in the water.

At this point, the only thing I can recommend is to try the methods you mentioned (i.e. metal removers, filter etc.). Although, I would try to raise your pH a little to 7.4-7.6 via aeration. 7.2 is still a little low.

That is correct, I do not have a water softener.

Too bad, because a water softener would remove the Iron in the water.

At this point, the only thing I can recommend is to try the methods you mentioned (i.e. metal removers, filter etc.). Although, I would try to raise your pH a little to 7.4-7.6 via aeration. 7.2 is still a little low.

I'll do that. I went and got my numbers checked a the place today. 70 TA and 7.2 PH. Is 70 too high for the bleach method? I am going to try another metal remover and see what happens. Next time I'll just use two bottles of eliminate 1 prior to adding the chemicals in.

I noticed there are a few little deposits of undesolved chemicals on the floor/seats of the spa. Any idea what this may be? It kind of looks like baking soda. Or maybe it is dichlor as I read it takes a while for the stabilizer to fully dissolve. Any thoughts?

Thanks once again for the help Nitro!

As long as your pH is < 8.0, your TA is not too high. Just get your pH up to 7.6 via aeration, and you should be good to go. If you find your pH rising above 8.0 in the future, then you can revisit your TA. For now I'd leave it alone.

As far as the deposits, I doubt it's Dichlor. Dichlor desolves pretty quick in hot water. You can desolve the Dichlor in a small bucket of water before pouring it in your tub to make sure.