Bleach Addition And Circulation

denvertub

I've just started using the bleach method and adding between 1 and 4 ozs. of bleach after each use depending upon time and number of people (usually 15 -30 min with one or two people). This seems to be keeping me in the 1-3 ppm range. My system also has ozonation and ag. There is a 5 gal/hr. continuous circ. pump in my tub. I know your supposed to run the 10 min. clean cycle with the addition of granular dichor. Do I need to run the jets for the full ten minute with the bleach? Or can I just put them on for a minute or two before covering it back up. I do a shock to 12 ppm once a week and do run for 10 minute and leave open for 20. I have 60 ppm TA, 7.6 pH, 140 CH, cya is about 30-40 and 50 ppm borates. Does this all sound about right? BTW, I love the silkiness since adding the borates.

Thanks Nitro and Chem Geek.

Won't the jet turn off after 10mins? Why don't you just add the bleach, turn on the jets (clean cycle) and close the lid?

Your numbers look good. You should have no problems.

Yes it's a 10 min clean cycle and I guess that's what I'll do if it's recommended. I was hoping to run the tub as efficiently as possible since it could be an extra half hour or more a day with the main pump running from the clean cycle depending on usage.

One other question. Do you add the bleach directly to the tub or to the filter compartment?

Thanks

Yes it's a 10 min clean cycle and I guess that's what I'll do if it's recommended. I was hoping to run the tub as efficiently as possible since it could be an extra half hour or more a day with the main pump running from the clean cycle depending on usage.

A few mins may be enough. I just like to make sure the bleach is well dispersed.

One other question. Do you add the bleach directly to the tub or to the filter compartment?

I add 1 oz a time over areas in the middle of the tub with the jets (no air) running. So if I'm adding 4 oz, I'll pour a little (1oz) in four different areas in the middle. I wouldn't pour it directly in the intake. If anything you want to pour it near an outflow.

I add the bleach into a 2gallon bucket with some of the tub water and then dump into the filter compartment.

That will work, but it's just an extra step. A few oz of Bleach will disperse pretty quick (a few seconds) in the middle of 350 gal of hot water with the jets running.

I add the bleach into a 2gallon bucket with some of the tub water and then dump into the filter compartment.

That will work, but it's just an extra step. A few oz of Bleach will disperse pretty quick (a few seconds) in the middle of 350 gal of hot water with the jets running.

But an upsplash of bleach (from the jets running) would make me wish I diluted it. ;)

jeff

Because it is very high in pH and high in Free Chlorine (FC) level. Though the exposure would be brief, it would nevertheless be very high. Bleach is around 57,000 ppm FC with a pH of around 11.4 (for Clorox Regular) and though this gets diluted if you pour slowly, it doesn't get diluted that much in the small volume of water going through the skimmer. Some people do this in pools, but it's safer to add it to the larger bulk water instead. Certainly, it is far worse to add acid in the skimmer and that should never be done.

By the exposure would be brief do you mean for humans? Or is there some detrimental effects on the spa?

By exposure, I mean effects on the spa. See this thread for more info about this. I'm probably being too picky, at least for bleach, since many people pour it into the skimmer in their pools. For acid, for sure, you don't want to add that to the skimmer so I figure just follow the same rule for any of the harsh concentrated chemicals such as acid, base and chlorine.

I just pour everything into the skimmer with the jets and air all open, the pump disperses the bleach through the jets and into the tub in less than a second. I've seen granular dichlor come out the jets in less time than I could blink, when I added it to the tub when the water was cold, no filter installed.

I don't see any problem with the materials being affected in any way in that short a time. Everything the bleach comes into contact with is made of: Dacron ( the filter), PVC (the plumbing), Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic ( the pump housing and impeller), and stainless steel ( the pump shaft). None of these materials are susceptible to breakdown with bleach contact anyway.

Heck, the filter cleaning chemical I buy from the local spa supply says it is made of hydrochloric acid and sulfuric acid, and it doesn't seem to harm the Dacron filter medium at all, and it soaks in it for hours.

I think people are way underestimating the chemical resistance of the materials the average spa is made of.

Dave