Evaporation

jennaemac

We have had our Arctic summit for 2 years and this is the first winter we have seen A LOT of evaporation. Its so bad that I thought we had a leak. We went a week once without using the tub and the water was way below the jets and filter. Is there anything we can do to prevent this? I can see the steam coming out from under the cover when the tub cycles. The cover is intact and seems to still fit well. What about the spa blankets? Would one of these help to lessen this problem?

If you can see steam coming out from under the cover then it sounds as if you should look in to getting a new cover. the more delapitated your cover is the less insulating properties it has. Is your cover very heavy?

our cover appears to be in great shape and is quite heavy. It is not water logged or torn. I can find no damage whatsoever. It is by no means "delapidated". I dont believe I own anything I would call delapidated. We have had a colder winter for the first time since we got it and I wonder if we are just seeing what we would have seen all along had we been having normal winters.

If you can see steam coming out from under the cover then it sounds as if you should look in to getting a new cover. the more delapitated your cover is the less insulating properties it has. Is your cover very heavy?

our cover appears to be in great shape and is quite heavy. It is not water logged or torn. I can find no damage whatsoever. It is by no means "delapidated". I dont believe I own anything I would call delapidated. We have had a colder winter for the first time since we got it and I wonder if we are just seeing what we would have seen all along had we been having normal winters.

Maybe "dilapidated" doesn't describe the look of your cover but as said previously, if you're seeing steam rise from the spa/cover then you have an issue to address and undoubtedly the reason for the evaporation.

It could be your shell. I bought a new cover in December and I have steam coming out because my tub's base isn't

completely flat (it's over the drain incline in my garage) and therefore the top of the shell isn't completely flat. It droops in one corner.

This spring I'll have to move it over some.

I don't think the cover needs to be dilapidated nor waterlogged to be ineffective. By the way, when your cover starts to feel heavy that usually means that it has absorbed water and may need to be replaced. These things only last 2-4 years in most cases.

If you're seeing steam, that's the look of money floating into the night air. If your cover is working well, you can often feel that you have to break the seal whan you fold it back, and you shouldn't be seeing any steam when the cover is on. See if you can localize where it's coming out. You can do some work with a 4 foot carpenter's level across the sealing edge of the shell to see if there's a sag or if your deck has settled and now you have a low corner. If the problem is that the foundation or deck has settled, you need to take care of that - it's not good for the shell in addition to the increase in operating costs due to the evaporation. If the shell is straight and has no low spots, then the problem is most likely the cover. You can use the level on the cover as a straightedge to see if it's warped - this isn't apparent in normal use because the skirt of the cover masks the fit issue.

You paid a lot for that Arctic and it's a good energy-efficient design. A cover problem will negate the benefit. Regarding your other question, yes, a blanket will likely help but those things seem like such a pain to deal with. Seems to me that if your tub/cover system is working well you shouldn't need a blanket.

Let us know what you determine.