Test Kit Question

denvertub

Hi, I'm a newbie. Thanks to the veterans here for a lot of useful info! I think I'm going to try the dichlor/bleach method and have a question about test kits. There are quite a few recommendations for the Taylor K-2006 test kit but I'm wondering what the need for the acid and base demand tests are. I found this PoolLife test kit which is made by Taylor and is similar to the K-2006 but doesn't have the acid and base demand tests. Is anyone familiar with this Kit? Here's the eBay link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/COMMERCIAL-STYLE-6-WAY...%3A1%7C294%3A50

Hi, I'm a newbie. Thanks to the veterans here for a lot of useful info! I think I'm going to try the dichlor/bleach method and have a question about test kits. There are quite a few recommendations for the Taylor K-2006 test kit but I'm wondering what the need for the acid and base demand tests are. I found this PoolLife test kit which is made by Taylor and is similar to the K-2006 but doesn't have the acid and base demand tests. Is anyone familiar with this Kit? Here's the eBay link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/COMMERCIAL-STYLE-6-WAY...%3A1%7C294%3A50

The acid and base demand tests will assist you with Ph adjustments. The included pool and spa water treatment guide has charts that allow you to use the demand tests to suggest amount of chemicals to make your adjustments.

The test you show has a DPD test, not a FAS-DPD test. So it is more limited for chlorine testing. It will bleach out at high chlorine levels (above 10 ppm) and is a colorimetric comparison test that is less accurate. You can see a demo of the FAS-DPD test here. With the FAS-DPD test you can measure both Free Chlorine and Combined Chlorine with a precision of 0.2 ppm with a 25 ml sample or 0.5 ppm with a 10 ml sample. This is most useful when you are figuring out your chlorine demand so getting used to proper dosing of chlorine. Once you get into a routine and know your tub, you can usually get by with a less accurate test.

There is a related test kit to the Taylor K-2006 without the acid/base demand tests, but able to test CYA down to 20 ppm (instead of 30 ppm as with the K-2006 or K-2006) and it has an OTO chlorine test for quick checks as well (the OTO test is mostly for total chlorine, but if your combined chlorine is normally near zero then this test is good as it does not get bleached out and tells you if you've at least got some chlorine in the water). It's the TF100 test kit you can see here. The kit has 36% more volume of reagents compared to the K-2006 test kit. Even accounting for volume, it is more expensive than the kit you show, but that's mostly due to the FAS-DPD chlorine test which is more expensive. The FAS-DPD chlorine test is also sold separately here.

Richard

The test you show has a DPD test, not a FAS-DPD test. So it is more limited for chlorine testing. It will bleach out at high chlorine levels (above 10 ppm) and is a colorimetric comparison test that is less accurate. You can see a demo of the FAS-DPD test here. With the FAS-DPD test you can measure both Free Chlorine and Combined Chlorine with a precision of 0.2 ppm with a 25 ml sample or 0.5 ppm with a 10 ml sample. This is most useful when you are figuring out your chlorine demand so getting used to proper dosing of chlorine. Once you get into a routine and know your tub, you can usually get by with a less accurate test.

There is a related test kit to the Taylor K-2006 without the acid/base demand tests, but able to test CYA down to 20 ppm (instead of 30 ppm as with the K-2006 or K-2006) and it has an OTO chlorine test for quick checks as well (the OTO test is mostly for total chlorine, but if your combined chlorine is normally near zero then this test is good as it does not get bleached out and tells you if you've at least got some chlorine in the water). It's the TF100 test kit you can see here. The kit has 36% more volume of reagents compared to the K-2006 test kit. Even accounting for volume, it is more expensive than the kit you show, but that's mostly due to the FAS-DPD chlorine test which is more expensive. The FAS-DPD chlorine test is also sold separately here.

Richard

Thanks Richard. I just picked up the TF-100.