Pool Adjacent Existing Concrete

n8scstm

Is there anyway around or an alternative to the equipotential bonding requirement so that it would be possible to place a new pool adjacent to existing concrete? I'd hate to have to rip up 3 feet of my nice stamped concrete. And in California, how far from the house must the pool be? Thanks in advance.

Is there anyway around or an alternative to the equipotential bonding requirement so that it would be possible to place a new pool adjacent to existing concrete? I'd hate to have to rip up 3 feet of my nice stamped concrete. And in California, how far from the house must the pool be? Thanks in advance.

I don't believe there is - do you not have enough room in your yard for a 3' space between the existing stamped concrete and the pool edge - to accommodate 3' of bonded pool deck? We faced the same issue when installing a new pool in late summer 2007 - had a large, existing concrete deck off our walk-out door and didn't want to rip it out and replace it. Note: if you opt for this, you'll want to install a deck drain between the new pool deck and the existing concrete. We bought a product manufactured by Stegmeier, works like a charm - a great convenience when washing the patio and/or pool deck.

I could, but it would limit the size of my pool. I'm putting it on a side yard and there is a 6 foot concrete path next to the house, all the way to the front yard. Then I have about 20' adjacent the concrete to the property line. Subtract the 5 foot setback and 3 foot bonded deck and that only leaves a 12' wide pool. I was hoping for 15'. So I think I will have to cut the concrete back two or three feet.

I could, but it would limit the size of my pool. I'm putting it on a side yard and there is a 6 foot concrete path next to the house, all the way to the front yard. Then I have about 20' adjacent the concrete to the property line. Subtract the 5 foot setback and 3 foot bonded deck and that only leaves a 12' wide pool. I was hoping for 15'. So I think I will have to cut the concrete back two or three feet.

I don't think there's any way around the bonding requirement - and, I should say, it's there for a reason. I sympathize w/ your dilemma. We had alot of problems w/ our pool build - in fact, we had two pools installed July-September 2007 - the first pool had multiple problems, but the contractor agreed to rip it all out and start anew. Before that decision was made, my father-in-law and I removed the entire deck from one end of the pool in an effort to repair a couple of problems - with a concrete saw, jackhammer and sledgehammers, on Labor Day, no less.

Lose the concrete, install the pool you want and don't look back. It can be a painful, frustrating process but will become a distant memory once you're enjoying the pool.