Arctic Tub Trouble

SmilinBare

At the start of November 2008, a day or two after I had completed the quarterly water change, I found the hot tub cooling off and discovered there was no power to the tub. After resetting both the outside disconnect switch and the main panel breaker in the basement several times I decided to pull the tub panels to see if I could fix the problem. The only thing I did was wiggle the multitude of plugs going into the master control box which evidently solved the problem and, upon resetting the breakers, the tub started up and ran fine.

Until now.

Mother Nature gave us a couple of days of warmer weather, last week, and I took advantage of the temporary warm up to change the tub water, again. After refilling the tub and getting it up and running, again, I went out-of-state on a business trip for a few days. Looking oh so forward to returning home for a three-day weekend, including nightly soaks, I was surprised to find the tub water at 85 degrees (I have it set to maintain 104) when I got home late Friday night.

I'm just in, now, from an hour or so of resetting breakers, removing panels & wiggling wires and connections to no avail. I happened to notice when I lifted the tub cover, little bits of white scummy stuff clinging to the bottom intake ports and coming out of a couple water jet ports. I checked the filter intake and it looks fine. Can't help but wonder, though, if that white scummy stuff has something to do with the problem. In fact, I've got a real uneasy feeling that the white scummy stuff is the dreaded white water mold and now I'm behginning to suspect that the main circulation pump might be clogged and thereby creating too much of a load on the electrical system thereby causing the electrical disconnect. This may be the time where I finally denounce my beloved BaquaSpa.

Not sure when the tub actually shut down but fortunately, even with the outdoors temp right around freezing, the tub water is only down to 73F. I was going to stick a little electric cube heater out there inside the tub cabinet, until I can track down a service tech, but given that the heater I have runs quite hot, I'm afraid to put it in the tub cabinet for fear iot might melt something. Hopefully the local hardware store or, if necessary, the nearest big box store will have some sort of a thermostatically-controlled electric heater I can safely stick out there under the tub.

Bummer!

• 2 months later...

It was the heater. Replaced it and the tub is up and running. I'm waiting for warmer weather to *deal* with the white water mold. I'm gonna be bummed if I have to give up BaquaSpa and switch to some chlorine-based sanitizer.

It was the heater. Replaced it and the tub is up and running. I'm waiting for warmer weather to *deal* with the white water mold. I'm gonna be bummed if I have to give up BaquaSpa and switch to some chlorine-based sanitizer.

Glad you found the problem, that is what I suspected when I read about the issue you had.

I use chlorine as a daily sanitizer, but for the weekly I use a non-chlorine, product. I have never had a problem with my water in 4 years, just gets cloudy from needing to be changed, but it takes a couple of months to get to that point.