How To Clean A Scum Ball?

Vermonter

Hey folks,

I'm not really certain that this involves Hot Tub Water Chemistry, however I'm certain chemicals will be involved in one form or another.

Does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning our little friend, the Scum Ball? Obviously, soaps or detergents are out... I'm thinking it has to be something with de-greasing properties, preferably with household items (as opposed to ordering something online). Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Tony

Hi Tony

Usually scum ball can very easy to clean with rinse it with water or detergent. But if you said that soap and detergent cannot clean the scum ball, it's mean that the ball is never clean for quiet long time.

My suggestions is buy new one and clean it once a week. It will quite long lasting.

frankwong

Hi Tony

Usually scum ball can very easy to clean with rinse it with water or detergent. But if you said that soap and detergent cannot clean the scum ball, it's mean that the ball is never clean for quiet long time.

My suggestions is buy new one and clean it once a week. It will quite long lasting.

frankwong

It's not so much that I think soap and/or detergent can't clean a Scum Ball, it's more my concern of ending up with soap in the hot tub, which is not a good thing. And considering it's the job of said device to absorb things, I worry it may be difficult to rinse the soap from it completely.

Tony

One of my co-workers uses those Scumballs and really enjoys them. She says she cleans hers, however you do indeed have to be careful that you get ALL the soap rinsed out. otherwise you'll get a soapy/foaming spa.

• 9 years later...

I would try soaking in a bowl of filter cleanse overnight.  Fill bowl completely and cover tightly.  Turn bowl upside down to submerge scum balls completely in the solution.  Rinse the next day in clear water or place in dishwasher or washer machine on a rinse cycle only without heat dry.  I haven't tried this yet but I'm about to as i have saved up a few used scum balls which I'm ready to clean.

• 2 years later...