Hot Springs Classic

I have been offered an old Hot Springs "Classic", supposedly about 18 years old. The owner says it is 550 gallons. I haven't had access to it yet to get model and serial number. What specifications or info can anyone give me on it? Is there more than one model for that year?

It needs some minor repair parts.

1991 Hot Spring Classic

Models

Specifications

Dimensions:

7'7 ½" x 7'8 ½" x 31"

Water Capacity:

325 gallons

Weight:

455 lbs. dry; 3,170 lbs. filled

Electrical Req:

115v, 20amp circuit

Ozonator:

Fresh Water

Filter:

71825 (Qty = 3)

Let me know if you have any other questions!

I have been offered an old Hot Springs "Classic", supposedly about 18 years old. The owner says it is 550 gallons. I haven't had access to it yet to get model and serial number. What specifications or info can anyone give me on it? Is there more than one model for that year?

1991 Hot Spring Classic

Models

Specifications

Dimensions:

7'7 ½" x 7'8 ½" x 31"

Water Capacity:

325 gallons

Weight:

455 lbs. dry; 3,170 lbs. filled

Electrical Req:

115v, 20amp circuit

Ozonator:

Fresh Water

Filter:

71825 (Qty = 3)

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Although it could be a Grandee Classic if its around 500 gallons and here would be the specs on that:

1991 Hot Spring Grandee

Models

Specifications

Dimensions:

7'8" x 8'3 ½" x 36 ½"

Water Capacity:

500 gallons

Weight:

820 lbs. dry; 4,990 lbs. filled

Electrical Req:

230v, 50amp circuit

Ozonator:

Not Applicable

Filter:

71825 (Qty = 5)

• 4 months later...

I still don't have more specifics handy, but the old 110v heater(separate unit in cylindrical housing) is dead and we want to replace it with a 220v one. according to the previous owner, everything else works.

I don't know if the old controller will power a 220v heater, but I think I might be able to power a relay with the 110v output that will switch 220v to the heater. The thermistor will have to be reused or replaced. I don't know how compatible they are, both mechanically and electrically.

The unit is in another town, so I can't run out and check it easily.

This weekend I plan to go there and install electrical service and look more closely at it.

If I can talk the owner into it, I would prefer just installing a "spa pack", combo controller and heater. I've seen them starting at $410.

I still don't have more specifics handy, but the old 110v heater(separate unit in cylindrical housing) is dead and we want to replace it with a 220v one. according to the previous owner, everything else works.

I don't know if the old controller will power a 220v heater, but I think I might be able to power a relay with the 110v output that will switch 220v to the heater. The thermistor will have to be reused or replaced. I don't know how compatible they are, both mechanically and electrically.

The unit is in another town, so I can't run out and check it easily.

This weekend I plan to go there and install electrical service and look more closely at it.

If I can talk the owner into it, I would prefer just installing a "spa pack", combo controller and heater. I've seen them starting at $410.

I'm over my head on this one so my questions might be off base - for example, my info only shows the "Classic" going back as far as 1995 - the Classic is wired for 110 with a dedicated 20 amp circuit so I'm not sure why you wouldn't just use the newer and better replacement heater made specifically for that model and power setup - though it sounds like you are accomplished at DIY projects - I would be curious to see how an upgrade to 220 works out with a 110 20Amp spa.

Is this spa going to be for your personal use? If so, my advice is be as certain as possible that there are no leaks. A GREAT place to buy authorized Hot Springs replacement parts is www.backyardplus.com. You may want to check out their website. Heaters purchased at that site include new thermistors. Changing from the old cartridge (obsolete and to my knowledge can no longer be purchased) to the new one will require modifications to the plumbing connections and there is a kit available to make that easier.

Good Luck - let us know how it works out.

I'm over my head on this one so my questions might be off base - for example, my info only shows the "Classic" going back as far as 1995 - the Classic is wired for 110 with a dedicated 20 amp circuit so I'm not sure why you wouldn't just use the newer and better replacement heater made specifically for that model and power setup - though it sounds like you are accomplished at DIY projects - I would be curious to see how an upgrade to 220 works out with a 110 20Amp spa.

Is this spa going to be for your personal use? If so, my advice is be as certain as possible that there are no leaks. A GREAT place to buy authorized Hot Springs replacement parts is www.backyardplus.com. You may want to check out their website. Heaters purchased at that site include new thermistors. Changing from the old cartridge (obsolete and to my knowledge can no longer be purchased) to the new one will require modifications to the plumbing connections and there is a kit available to make that easier.

Good Luck - let us know how it works out.

i didn't know if that controller would handle 220v output directly or not. i suspected not.

it is not for my use, it's for a friend, but i would certainly make sure there are no leaks whether it is for myself or anyone else.

i went out there to work on it this last weekend. the tub had been a free one (from freecycle). when we looked at replacement costs for the heater or the entire controller combo, it was decided that buying an entire larger used spa off of craigslist was a cheaper and better option, so this conversion project is moot, much to my relief.

i ran the 50 amp service for it and we await the arrival of the tub now. as we walked out of lowes with over $400 of wire, gfci spa disconnect box and miscellaneous parts, she said to me, "so much for the free hot tub!".

anybody in the orlando area interested in a free fixerup spa?

If you're talking about a 1991 Hot Spring, and it is setup for 110v, you cannot convert it to 220v without replacing ALL the electrical parts internally. Back then the spas were either 110v, or 220v. Now days, the newer spas are controlled by computer/circuit boards, and are convertible with some jumper changes.

Back then, it was one, or the other. I wouldn't recommend trying to alter things.

The heating element for the old 110v Classic isn't to expensive though if you do it yourself. :)

Here is a picture of a 1995 Hot Spring Classic I found through Google. Should give you an idea of what it looks like.

100_1107.jpg