Buying Our First Pool

oconnells

Thanks to everyone here who took the time to answer my questions. This week the wife, and I will be going back to the pool store to purchase our first pool. I was leaning toward the Esther Williams, but due to budgetary constraints, and a much more helpful sales staff, we have decided to go with a 24 round Artesian.

Thanks to everyone here who took the time to answer my questions. This week the wife, and I will be going back to the pool store to purchase our first pool. I was leaning toward the Esther Williams, but due to budgetary constraints, and a much more helpful sales staff, we have decided to go with a 24 round Artesian.

Congratulations!

what model did you get? What can you tell us about the pool that you liked? What type of filter did you get?

It's the Riverview Ultra 24' round. Basic Facts are as follows:

Limited Lifetime Warranty

Stainless Steel Service panel

Wide mouth skimmer

25ml beaded liner

A 1.5 horse pump, and a 200 gallon sand filter

What we really liked about the pool was the store at which we decided to buy. For one it is less than a mile down the street from my house. They sell both resin and steel, sand filters and cartridge filters, and at no time did they try to simply pedal the most expensive option as the best. They simply explained the benefits and disadvantages of each, and let us decide. They even talked me out of buying their top of the line pool, claiming it was overkill. They also through in their silver package which contained winter cover, an automatic pool cleaner, the regular cleaning equipment, and of course a months worth of chemicals

In addition we added the following upgrades:

A pool light (replaced the resirc jet, and has a jet built in).

Wedding cake steps (the second version.) as I will be building a deck at least part way around it.

Wide mouth skimmer

25ml beaded liner

What we really liked about the pool was the store at which we decided to buy. For one it is less than a mile down the street from my house. They sell both resin and steel, sand filters and cartridge filters, and at no time did they try to simply pedal the most expensive option as the best. They simply explained the benefits and disadvantages of each, and let us decide. They even talked me out of buying their top of the line pool, claiming it was overkill. They also through in their silver package which contained winter cover, an automatic pool cleaner, the regular cleaning equipment, and of course a months worth of chemicals

Wedding cake steps (the second version.) as I will be building a deck at least part way around it.

Sounds very nice. I have the light on the water return outlet and really like it. I think it looks best when looking down on it from a deck. However.....if the filter is off (ie, the water is still) and the light is on, the light will highlight every flaw/depression on a sand bottom pool. You can mimimize it by having the installer be meticoulous with the sand bottom (and even then, there will be some contouring), or consider a foam floor. Don't get me wrong, this is not a big deal just a small nit that I noticed and if I had to do it over again, might consider the foam floor.

I be interested in the auto pool cleaner as well (I assume that's a vacume that scoots around on it's own?) I never really cared for it, but would like to hear other's expericence with it.

good luck and keep us updated with you pool! :)

• 3 weeks later...

It's a late post, but I went in on the 23rd of Dec and bought it. It won't be delivered until sometime in Feb, so I don't have any additional information, but the first step is taken. I'll try and post pics once its installed, and I build the deck.

Tigger:: I'm only familiar with automatic pool cleaners for inground pools (Polais), and they have a seperate pump that runs them. This evidentially uses the same pump as the rest of the pool, so I'm not sure how this is going to work. I'll let you know once it's all done.

Wide mouth skimmer

25ml beaded liner

Just a little snippet about the wedding cake steps. They work great but make sure you have enough support underneath the steps. Over time the steps will sag and buckle the sides in but if you have supports under the steps you will be fine. Keep in mind that algae gets trapped in the enclosure. It may be worth while to direct your return jet towards the step to maximize circulation within the step. I guess it just depends on where you live .... if you dont get algae or any other veggy life in your pool then this will not apply to you. Good luck and have fun with your new Pool!

Thanks for the heads up. The sales guy told us of this with the original version, but indicated that 2nd version had the steps offset, and allowed for better circulation to help reduce algae growing behind them (guess this was a problem with the original type) is this not the case? As for the sagging, you are the first person to tell me this, how do I put supports in to keep this from happening?

Thanks for the heads up. The sales guy told us of this with the original version, but indicated that 2nd version had the steps offset, and allowed for better circulation to help reduce algae growing behind them (guess this was a problem with the original type) is this not the case? As for the sagging, you are the first person to tell me this, how do I put supports in to keep this from happening?

There are many different types of wedding cake steps. The newer model steps usually give you hard resin supports to insert underneath the steps. I would consult whomever you bought the steps from and ask them. I may have different experiences with a similar step but not necessarily the type you purchased.

• 2 months later...

Here is our preference for buying pool stuff going forward for you.

Find a good website and buy online - on about 99% of stuff you will save money and suffer the consequence of having the stuff delivered to your door. We most often shop at www.poolproducts.com but there are tons of online vendors.

When it was time to replace our 15 yr. old ABGround pool we bought the replacement online and saved a TON of cash.

The only things we buy locally are 3 inch cholorine tabs (Sam's Club is best price around our area) and liquid chlorine and muriatic acid and algaecide at our nearby hardware store. Anything "serious" like pump motors and etc. we buy online.

That friendly area pool store usually has too much overhead to be cost competitive - just IMO.

Best of Luck with the New POOL!!!