220 Wiring Schematic

Eddie Haskell

I've been looking for a detailed schematic for wiring my tub, anybody know of a good link? I know the theroy but I'm pretty much a visual type of person :)

Make and Model, year of manufacture would help as well

B)

1999 Coleman Horizon 400,

I picked it up used (obviously) and all the wiring from the tub is still in place so I was looking for a detailed schematic so I can do the GFCI breaker hook-up. I plan on doing a GFCI breaker to an outdoor on/off switch (10' away from tub, mounted to house) and then to the tub, all enclosed in watertight flex conduit all with 6 gauge wire.

I have her all hooked up but if I have my ground hooked all the way through, from buss bar to tub, I trip the breaker immediately, ground un-hooked everything seems to work just fine. My box on the spa only has a place to tie down three wires, red, black and ground, does the second ground I ran create a ground loop that the breaker is interrupting as a ground fault? Thanks

I have her all hooked up but if I have my ground hooked all the way through, from buss bar to tub, I trip the breaker immediately, ground un-hooked everything seems to work just fine. My box on the spa only has a place to tie down three wires, red, black and ground, does the second ground I ran create a ground loop that the breaker is interrupting as a ground fault? Thanks

First, here is this: Wiring Diagram

Next: the most common mistake in wiring a tub is to bring the neutral from the tub to the bus bar and not to the "neutral" tab on the GFI breaker. Sounds like that may be an issue here.

My coleman's an '06 400 series 482 - so don't know if anything's changed. (I couldn't get the wiring pdf to download.) My box has a "place" to lock in 3 #6 wires too, but they are the white neutral, and the black and red 120v legs. The 4th wire, a green or bare copper ground is routed close by to a ground bar that has several other grounds attached to it.

Joel

I looked at that wiring scheme before I started doing any of the wiring and If you look at the actual schematic in the instructions there is a "ground" wire which makes it appear that there would be no common wire? I have the red and black (hot) wires hooked to the load side of my GFI breaker and the white (common) wire hooked to the "Load Neutral" on the breaker and the pig tail attatched to the buss bar but I'm thinking because I ran a ground wire as well as the common, there is a ground loop. Look at the schematic and where the AC comes into the tub notice there is NO common only a ground and you will understand why I'm confused...I hope! I guess the simple explanation is that my tub is a 3 wire system with the ground and common being shared?

I looked at that wiring scheme before I started doing any of the wiring and If you look at the actual schematic in the instructions there is a "ground" wire which makes it appear that there would be no common wire? I have the red and black (hot) wires hooked to the load side of my GFI breaker and the white (common) wire hooked to the "Load Neutral" on the breaker and the pig tail attatched to the buss bar but I'm thinking because I ran a ground wire as well as the common, there is a ground loop. Look at the schematic and where the AC comes into the tub notice there is NO common only a ground and you will understand why I'm confused...I hope

Hello Eddie,

For a four-wire 220V service, you have the two AC line wires, the neutral wire, and the ground wire. At your main panel (service entrance), the neutral and ground wires from all the circuits should be bonded together - and ONLY there. From that point on, the neutral and ground connections must be separate. The neutral line is allowed to have current flowing on it - usually relatively small if the loads are balanced properly, but the ground line is NEVER supposed to have any current flowing, unless there is a fault condition.

Do you see any obvious safety ground wiring in the spa, e.g., wires connected to the cases of the motors, heater, etc.? If so, where do these wires connect together?

Regards,

Altazi

looking at the schematic and at the tub, both the pumps and the blower are grounded to a buss bar on the side of the spa control box. I followed the green/ground wire from the main connection on the spa and it is grounded to the box as well. I think it's hooked up properly, I just want somebody to say "yes, that is how a three wire connetion is made", for obvious reasons I want to be sure it's correct! The way I have it now I have the ground wire in the panel run to the external box on the side of the home so that box is grounded, from there I only have the red,black and white wires run to the spa, that is the only way it will work without tripping the breaker.

Just for reference sake, the box on the side of the home is a positive disconnect type that I can completely disconnect the spa's HOT wires by removing a stint, that leaves the common and the ground wire going to the spa and even in that scenario it trips the GFI immediately.

Looking closer at the last post, the way I tried to wire it to begin with creates a neutral/ground connection at the tub as well