New Pump, Still No Suction?!

illusionzzz

Hi All,

Hoping someone can offer some advice.

My new house has a salt water/sand filtered swmming pool. I'm quite used to swimming pools so i know the basics.

We had a problem with the water (not really) circulating around the pool, the skimmer boxes were not sucking most of the crap out of the water, also the pool vacuum suction was very very weak. We got some advice and got the pump tested. It was not operating correctly so we replaced it with a brand new one.

Now the water is really circulating around the pool but the skimmer does not seem to be sucking much. With my previous pools it has always been impossible to pull out the basket and/or sock while the filter was on but this is not the case here. To test it even further I setup the vacuum with a short section of unblocked hose and to be honest it didn't seem to suck much at all.

I have played with all knobs and valves but nothing is ringing any bells....

I have since backwashed the sand filter but to no avail.

The water is pumping through the pool great but there is just no suction, what could be causing this?

Any help or a point in the right direction would be great.

Regards

• 2 months later...

sounds like the pluming from the skimmer might be blocked or parshaly blocked. Since I can see your set up maybe hooking the pump discharge to the skimmer and a hose to the pool to the socjen of the pump could clear it. But Be best to call a pool company to check it first. Thats by best quess at whats wronge and sulution.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Hoping someone can offer some advice.

My new house has a salt water/sand filtered swmming pool. I'm quite used to swimming pools so i know the basics.

We had a problem with the water (not really) circulating around the pool, the skimmer boxes were not sucking most of the crap out of the water, also the pool vacuum suction was very very weak. We got some advice and got the pump tested. It was not operating correctly so we replaced it with a brand new one.

Now the water is really circulating around the pool but the skimmer does not seem to be sucking much. With my previous pools it has always been impossible to pull out the basket and/or sock while the filter was on but this is not the case here. To test it even further I setup the vacuum with a short section of unblocked hose and to be honest it didn't seem to suck much at all.

I have played with all knobs and valves but nothing is ringing any bells....

I have since backwashed the sand filter but to no avail.

The water is pumping through the pool great but there is just no suction, what could be causing this?

Any help or a point in the right direction would be great.

Regards

check the valves on the suction side of pump. sounds like you are not shutting off the main drain all of the way or a clog like the other guy said. some older valves, such as Kbi, hayward dial a flo, or cycolac are notorious for not working well even when pretty new

• 4 months later...