6x6 Base Without Fill

ralphr

My LA Spa hot tub sat on a base of pressure treated 6x6's (4 to frame out a 6 ft square and 2 more about 18 inches off center to support the tubs foot well) and the space between the 6x6's was filled with gravel. I recently had some work done in the yard and the crew I had moved the frame and tub for me but forgot to fill the base with gravel. Is it necessary for me to lift the tub off the 6x6 base and fill the space with gravel or CR6 or am I OK as is. Thanks in advance for yout help

My LA Spa hot tub sat on a base of pressure treated 6x6's (4 to frame out a 6 ft square and 2 more about 18 inches off center to support the tubs foot well) and the space between the 6x6's was filled with gravel. I recently had some work done in the yard and the crew I had moved the frame and tub for me but forgot to fill the base with gravel. Is it necessary for me to lift the tub off the 6x6 base and fill the space with gravel or CR6 or am I OK as is. Thanks in advance for yout help

I did something similar but I used 2X8 and mine were 16 on center, I also put blocks in to prevent any shifting. I have a spa that is 8' X 8'. I used no gravel and the ground has a slight drop to it so water does not accumulate under it. Mine is solid as a Rock.

With that in mind I would also look into what the building code is for a floor of a house built similarly. It all comes down to load bearing, which I don't think will be a problem. The other thing is shearing, are you condfident your ouside corners are made strong enough to handle any sideways forces they would encounter, from people getting in and out or the water sloshing around.

I did something similar but I used 2X8 and mine were 16 on center, I also put blocks in to prevent any shifting. I have a spa that is 8' X 8'. I used no gravel and the ground has a slight drop to it so water does not accumulate under it. Mine is solid as a Rock.

With that in mind I would also look into what the building code is for a floor of a house built similarly. It all comes down to load bearing, which I don't think will be a problem. The other thing is shearing, are you condfident your ouside corners are made strong enough to handle any sideways forces they would encounter, from people getting in and out or the water sloshing around.

Thanks for your response. I would assume (assume being the key word here) that with 6x6 posts lying on a machine compacted CR6 base there would be little if any shearing affect. Would you agree ???

You need to fill the 6x6s due to it will flex the tub and it could crack the tub! check out our web page

It is much better to put it entirely on a pea gravel bed instead of using a combination of wood/ pea gravel. The enitre tub, edges and all needs to be flat. Like a waterbed.

If a gravel bed is the desired foundation, I recommend 5/8"minus cruched rock tamped in layers instead of pea gravel.