Timer To Take Advantage Of Tou Electricity Pricing

jackmorgan

Hi,

Our electrical company has placed its customers on a time of use pricing plan. I would like to add a timer to my hot tub so that it will only run during off-peak hours (10PM to 7AM). I was thinking about a standard intermatic mechanical timer, but wondered what would happen if the heater was on and the timer cut power to the entire tub. (meltdown?) Then I thought about wiring the heater wiring from the relay to the timer, so that the heater would only run during the off peak period. The problem with this setup would be the low speed pump running constantly since there would likely be a call for heat, but no heat. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Jack

Hi,

Our electrical company has placed its customers on a time of use pricing plan. I would like to add a timer to my hot tub so that it will only run during off-peak hours (10PM to 7AM). I was thinking about a standard intermatic mechanical timer, but wondered what would happen if the heater was on and the timer cut power to the entire tub. (meltdown?) Then I thought about wiring the heater wiring from the relay to the timer, so that the heater would only run during the off peak period. The problem with this setup would be the low speed pump running constantly since there would likely be a call for heat, but no heat. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Jack

What brand, model, year spa?

Hi,

Jack

What brand, model, year spa?

It's an older (maybe 10 years) aruba spa. We purchased the house last year and it was existing. Can't remember the controller name, but can look up when i get back home if needed. Let me know. Thanks.