Intex Pool Modifications 18ft And Larger

spacewalker

Hello Everyone,

All the modifications I'm about to mention was done to an Easy Set 18 X 48 pool and filter system. Any modifications done to any other brand or size may have undisired results and have not been proven.

My wife and I has had an Easy Set 18 X 48 round pool since the year 2000. They are good pools except for the filter system which is just not enough flow to clean the water. Our first pool had a 3000gph pump and done well but a surface skimmer was not available at the time so I made one that looked pretty good with outstanding results. Then the next year, Intex made one available. I came accross a new pool cheap so I gave out old one to my in-laws. The newer pools had pumps with lower flow which is a problem. So, Heres what I done this year.

Bought a 4000gph pump. Sharpened the grate in the intake with a smalll file. It is really thick and will greatly reduce the flow.

Bought the Deluxe Skimmer. Cut the flower looking strainer from the inside as it redices the flow also. I hard piped the skimmer to the fitting inside the pool using two 45s to get the right angle, a straight section of 1.5 PVC about 9 inches long for the deluxe skimmer. 8 for the old style. One 90 and one 1.5 to 1.25 bushing. That along with the strap that goes over the ring will provide a pretty solid mounted skimmer. I have the drawing if anyone wants to build one. just send me an Email.

Got rid of the Plunger Valves. I have always wanted to do this but couldn't find an easy way untill I got the 4000ghp pump. The fittings that go through the pool are slightly smaller. They are the same size as the hoses as they will screw straight on the pool. I was able to buy a 1.25 inch PVC compression coupler, cut it in half, modify its square threads to "V" threads and the hoses will screw right on it. I made the peices fit into one end of the 1.5 PVC ball valve. The other end of the valve got a long turn street 90 that was mofified to accept the screw collars that are on the plunger valves. The design has been working for over a week now with great results. I can tell a bunch of difference in just one week. Dirt was settling at the bottom before but not now. If you live in the south, You know what I mean. Red Mud!!!!

I'm waiting on my automatic cleaner that should work well. ( If there is anything left on the bottom) I bought a Lil Shark cleaner. I have seen one in action that a freind of mine has. Its not a wall climber it keeps the bottom scrubbed clean. I dont see any use in upgrading the pump unless you get rid of the plunger valves. They reduce the flow by far. I dont know how much but before I put my pool away for the winter, I will see.

Anyone may email me if they need any assistiance. I have tried much more than I described here. If anyone wants the ball valve conversion, I will make them and ship them for a fee. It wont be very cheap because it takes a while to do it. You will have to let me know if you have the blue or gray fittings. Hope everyone finds this usefull!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Everyone,

All the modifications I'm about to mention was done to an Easy Set 18 X 48 pool and filter system. Any modifications done to any other brand or size may have undisired results and have not been proven.

My wife and I has had an Easy Set 18 X 48 round pool since the year 2000. They are good pools except for the filter system which is just not enough flow to clean the water. Our first pool had a 3000gph pump and done well but a surface skimmer was not available at the time so I made one that looked pretty good with outstanding results. Then the next year, Intex made one available. I came accross a new pool cheap so I gave out old one to my in-laws. The newer pools had pumps with lower flow which is a problem. So, Heres what I done this year.

Bought a 4000gph pump. Sharpened the grate in the intake with a smalll file. It is really thick and will greatly reduce the flow.

Bought the Deluxe Skimmer. Cut the flower looking strainer from the inside as it redices the flow also. I hard piped the skimmer to the fitting inside the pool using two 45s to get the right angle, a straight section of 1.5 PVC about 9 inches long for the deluxe skimmer. 8 for the old style. One 90 and one 1.5 to 1.25 bushing. That along with the strap that goes over the ring will provide a pretty solid mounted skimmer. I have the drawing if anyone wants to build one. just send me an Email.

Got rid of the Plunger Valves. I have always wanted to do this but couldn't find an easy way untill I got the 4000ghp pump. The fittings that go through the pool are slightly smaller. They are the same size as the hoses as they will screw straight on the pool. I was able to buy a 1.25 inch PVC compression coupler, cut it in half, modify its square threads to "V" threads and the hoses will screw right on it. I made the peices fit into one end of the 1.5 PVC ball valve. The other end of the valve got a long turn street 90 that was mofified to accept the screw collars that are on the plunger valves. The design has been working for over a week now with great results. I can tell a bunch of difference in just one week. Dirt was settling at the bottom before but not now. If you live in the south, You know what I mean. Red Mud!!!!

I'm waiting on my automatic cleaner that should work well. ( If there is anything left on the bottom) I bought a Lil Shark cleaner. I have seen one in action that a freind of mine has. Its not a wall climber it keeps the bottom scrubbed clean. I dont see any use in upgrading the pump unless you get rid of the plunger valves. They reduce the flow by far. I dont know how much but before I put my pool away for the winter, I will see.

Anyone may email me if they need any assistiance. I have tried much more than I described here. If anyone wants the ball valve conversion, I will make them and ship them for a fee. It wont be very cheap because it takes a while to do it. You will have to let me know if you have the blue or gray fittings. Hope everyone finds this usefull!!!!

Can you show some pictures?

Thanks,

Ronald