Such An Idiot

kateyc61

Thinking it was my Potassium shock.

So about 6 TBS all told, and the levels are still over 10PPM.

Also using ozonator and Vision system as well.

Should I just drain off some water? How much would you recommend?

Of course everything was perfect since a fresh fill not long ago.

Boy did I screw up <_<

Thanks in advance for any help. It's been a long time since I posted here, and we have been enjoying the spa for nearly 2 years now smooth sailing thanks to every one here who got me off on the right foot!

6 tablespoons of Dichlor in 350 gallons would raise the FC by 36 ppm (and the CYA by 32 ppm). Since you probably used Dichlor before, you've probably got enough CYA in the water so the high FC isn't a disaster. It will drop over time. If you are concerned, then draining/refilling half the water would get it down to 18 ppm which would certainly not be a problem, but that's up to you. This isn't a long-term situation so the faster degradation of the cover or other parts shouldn't be an issue. It's about the same as the initial shocking recommended by N2 systems. If you already had 30 ppm CYA in the water, then your FC level now with 62 ppm CYA is technically equivalent to 1.4 ppm FC with no CYA which is similar to that found in many indoor pools.

If your pH tended to be stable, then you should be OK. If the pH tended to drop in the past, then this large amount of chlorine you added could have the pH drop more so that is something to watch out for, but unfortunately the pH test isn't reliable at high chlorine levels. It tends to read higher than it really is, BUT if you see it yellow meaning low pH then that is probably accurate and the water would need adjustment.

Richard

If you open the cover and turn on the jets, it will gas off some helping to lower the chlorine level also.

I ran it open for about an hour yesterday, it dropped a tinge, but every little bit helps. I've got it open right now too, thanks!

Richard, many thanks for the chemistry explanation. The ph had been stable, but I noticed yes it did drop a bit. I'll drain off now and refill before I adjust the Ph , right?

I was just about to add some NA Hydrogen carbonate, but I will hold off.

Labor Day weekend! Gotta get in the spa!!

Yes, if you're going to be doing a partial or whole drain/refill, you can wait to adjust the pH after you do that. Without the high chlorine levels, the pH test should be accurate.

Yes, if you're going to be doing a partial or whole drain/refill, you can wait to adjust the pH after you do that. Without the high chlorine levels, the pH test should be accurate.

Took half the water out, refilled, now around 5 PPM FC, pH 7.6 TA 120.

I'm in.

Thanks guys!