Easy set pool

Guest schmoo

Obviously, if I have been reading in this forum I too have 'pool problems' .....my particular problem is the 'yellow, orangy' water that I see so many others talk about............I have the easy set 18'by48" pool from Wal-mart and have been battling this for two weeks and I am wondering if the cheap small pump that comes with the pool could be the problem as well and metals in the water. I just cannot help but wonder if that small pump and filter system can handle almost 6,000 gallons of water and filter it adequately.Does anyone have an opinion on this? I am thinking about investing in a sand filter for mine.

With the intex ez set pools it is almost impossible to get them back after they start turning green. the little cartrige filter is too small and not efficient enough to even filter a bathtub let alone a 6 thousand gallon pool. Best bet is to drain it and start all over. With new water always run the filter 24 hrs keep a good chlorine and use a prevenative algae treatment.

Okay, I have wal-marts answer to the intex pools, which are those simple-set pools. My pool water turned green, and we had slimy walls and algae because the filter broke, but we got a new free one, bought some aqua-chem shock plus clarifier, and when we put that in, along with the pump, everything cleared up! Sure, the water's still a little cloudy (although it looks quite clear when you're looking into the pool, as long as you're not in it with goggles), but its 99% better than it was.

I have had the 18x48 pool for the 2nd season. Last year the water was pretty clear until the end of the season (Sept in MA). This year I have had problems with the water since the end of June when we opened it. I have spent allot of money trying to clear up my cloudy water. I even bought a better vacuum yesterday the pool store. It was only $30.00 and it does work better than the one that came with it. I leave the filter running too. Any suggestions on how to clear this up? It seems like the pump just isn't enough this time around.

I saw your post regarding your easy set pool we also have the 18ft one and have the same problem for weeks now. I have been to 3 different pool stores, I keep buying what ever they say but its still happening. I vacummed it yesterday, then shocked it, and have been rising out the cartridge with a hose every few hours, it looks better then yesterday but still green. I just started draining it a bit. If you figured out yours I would love to hear what you did, I'm at the point where I may just give up and take it down. Thanks

Michele

I have the 15ft pool and like all of you I have the same cloudy water I had no problem last year it was clear all the time, but this year is a different story, I have been to 3 different pool stores and bought what they told me and the only thing that worked was 8 gallons of liquid chlorine and a new filter it took about 3 days to clear and only stayed for about 3 days also, I called the pool place and they sugessted to get a better filter and the cheapest one they had was 3x more than I paid for the pool itself, so I am looking for a new filter to see if this helps. They just kept telling me it is all about the chlorine adding more and more is what is going to keep it clear, and extreme heat is not helping here more than 85 and my pool gets cloudy if it was clear. However I dont really know what sand filter is and if it would be good for my pool or not.

SAME STORY: I also have the 18'x48" quick set pool from Walmart. After I purchased the pool, the first two months were awesome. The beginning of August I encountered some algea problems. At first I saw what looked like clumps of dirt on the bottom of the pool. Then after a while the pool started to look dull and had a slight greenish haze to it. I then administered algaecide, then applied it again because the first dose did not work. I also called many pool stores to get help on the situation, but nothing worked. My pool readings were fine, but just could not figure it out. I vacuumed the pool many times w/the stock vacuum that comes with the pool. This tool is worthless, you need to at least go and buy yourself some hose and a vacuum head. I even found that this did not help because the suction is not enough to clean algea. Lastly I shocked the pool to death and still no success. I was exhausted and extremely frustrated so I went ahead and drained the pool, cleaned it with chlorine both bottom and sides of pool. Because of this experience, I went out and purchased a new generator/filering system that ran about $300.00 just as much as the pool cost. Through this whole crazy experience I learned a few things. The filtering system is not strong enough to handle the pool. You need a slight current to keep the water moving in order to keep the water fresh. I would most definetely invest in a better filtering system.

I am beginning to feel like it is the pump capacity as well....mine is the 16...my neighbors is the 18....i have the smaller pump...no attatchments for moving the water like the bigger one....it has a spray shower which will dissipate over chlorination as well as a jet direct nozzle which keeps the entire pool water spinning and moving...his is chrystal clear...i think i am fighting mustard algae...i am sick of fighting it and not being able to enjoy the pool....the heat index has been near 110 degrees ...the pool gets direct sun all day unless it is covered...by then the water temp is near 85 or 90...Wal-Mart will get this one back as soon as I find the receipt and I will opt for the larger pool...if they can get iany in stock.

Draining your pool does not do any good, and no one that has an inground that has turned green is going to dump it and start over. I had the same problem and kept treating the pool, then I invested in a sand filter that would handle a around 7000 gallons, never had a problem since, and never dumped my pool.

I had the same problem with cloudy water, someone told me it was chloramines-bleached out algae or something like that. I shocked it, then used a product called "Clear Blue" ( made for spas to clear the water). I called the hotline number on the side of the bottle to get correct dosage. The water began to clear up within 3 hours. Every time the water starts to get cloudy now I do this and haven't had a problem since, other than the tiny filter that came with the pool quit.

I'm tired of the green water. I've had an easy set for 6 years. Not the same one, I replace it every 2 years. The first 2 years I struggled with every chemical and potion known to man but finally, beaten by the green water, I've been reduced to just draining it as soon as it turns green and fill it with fresh. But now I'm tired of doing that every week too. I'm convinced if I connected a larger filter pump with a much greater cubic flow rate it would fix the green water. Has anyone tried this? If yes, please provide me with details.

You say extreme heat? What? at 85. I live in Yuma Arizona. That is our winter temps. Try being at 115 to 120 during the summer. Then talk to me about extreme heat.

Anyway, here is something that I think all these people are missing. Have you ever put sugar in your iced tea? It gets all sugary at the bottom and if you are using a straw,you get a bunch of sugar in a sip. But have you ever dissolved sugar in warm water, and then added the mixture to your tea? It stays sweet and doesn't pile up on the bottom of the glass.

My theory is that the pool is like the glass of iced tea. You can only dissolve SO MUCH into the water. 6,000 gallons sounds like a lot of water, until you compare it to a real pool. If you keep adding chlorine, and chlorine, and algeacide and soda ash or whatever, the pool will eventually be so saturated that the water will not stabilize. Maybe draining half out and mixing in fresh would work. I just drained mine after 2 years. The first year was great. The 2nd year I could not control the pool.

Let me know if that was helpful in any way.