How To Winterize My Above Ground Pool?

I have a 30 X 18 X 4.5 above ground Splash pool, with salt generator, pump, sand filter and heat pump. I've learned how to balance the water chemistry using Taylor testing materials and the water has been stable and crystal clear all season. The pool temperature stays in the high eighties most days, between 84-88 degrees. So the pool is very comfortable. I have an EZ Vac that I use to clean the pool and also acts as a bottom drain. The thing works great. I have a floating skimmer that cleans the surface of the pool. I can only use one of these devices at a time as they both run off the same inlet pipe. Now it's time to learn about winterizing the pool. I won't need to close and winterize the pool until probably late October or early November, depending on when the first snows arrive in Reno. So here are my questions:

1) What do I need to do with the water chemistry and the pool to properly winterize it?

2) What is the proper water level for a winterized pool?

3) How do I protect the salt generator, pump, filter and heat pump? Do I need to drain them, cover them or fill them with anit-freeze? The salt generator, filter, pump, heat pump, hoses and rigid piping are exposed to the weather.

4) The pool is 3 years old. Should I plan on adding to the sand to the filter for next season, replacing the sand or leaving it alone?

5) What about pool pillows and pool covers?

6) What are the best brands of winterizing kits, supplies and materials to purchase?

7) What else do I need to know to correctly and completely winterize the pool?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

I have a 30 X 18 X 4.5 above ground Splash pool, with salt generator, pump, sand filter and heat pump. I've learned how to balance the water chemistry using Taylor testing materials and the water has been stable and crystal clear all season. The pool temperature stays in the high eighties most days, between 84-88 degrees. So the pool is very comfortable. I have an EZ Vac that I use to clean the pool and also acts as a bottom drain. The thing works great. I have a floating skimmer that cleans the surface of the pool. I can only use one of these devices at a time as they both run off the same inlet pipe. Now it's time to learn about winterizing the pool. I won't need to close and winterize the pool until probably late October or early November, depending on when the first snows arrive in Reno. So here are my questions:

1) What do I need to do with the water chemistry and the pool to properly winterize it?

2) What is the proper water level for a winterized pool?

3) How do I protect the salt generator, pump, filter and heat pump? Do I need to drain them, cover them or fill them with anit-freeze? The salt generator, filter, pump, heat pump, hoses and rigid piping are exposed to the weather.

4) The pool is 3 years old. Should I plan on adding to the sand to the filter for next season, replacing the sand or leaving it alone?

5) What about pool pillows and pool covers?

6) What are the best brands of winterizing kits, supplies and materials to purchase?

7) What else do I need to know to correctly and completely winterize the pool?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

Angela,

Thanks for the URL. This looks like a great website and newsletter location. I found their information about winterizing my above ground pool very helpulf. Thanks again!

• 3 months later...