Dismantle For The Winter?

I have a 24 ft above ground with a leak. Absolutely no luck in finding it for some time now. I would like to let the water leak out on it's own after swimming season ends in a couple weeks here in NY. Hopefully will find it that way. If I find that I end up with an empty pool, is it ok just to leave it up all winter with no water in it.

I have a 24 ft above ground with a leak. Absolutely no luck in finding it for some time now. I would like to let the water leak out on it's own after swimming season ends in a couple weeks here in NY. Hopefully will find it that way. If I find that I end up with an empty pool, is it ok just to leave it up all winter with no water in it.

As long as you don't put a cover on it, you shoud fare ok.

As long as you don't put a cover on it, you shoud fare ok.

Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but why not put the cover on

if the pool is completely dried out?

This is our first season with a metal frame pool and I was planning

on draining it and putting the cover on in the "winter" (SoCal).

Not a good idea?

I would always use a winter pool cover if for no other reason than to protect the liner!

If you don't have one try: Winter Pool Covers

Jim

If you put a pool cover on a pool with no water in it, it's DEAD!. This is why it's so important not to have a leak when you put the cover on for winter. If you have a slow leak, all the ice that builds up around the edges under and on top of the cover will collapse into the pool (where there should be water holding it up) destroying it. I had it happen about 5 yrs ago. This is what it looks like. The cabled cover pulls the top of the wall in until it fails.

pool.jpg

That's some serious winter you have there!

The 2 options are drain the pool and leave it thereby risking your liner or, secondly, put on a winter pool cover. Using a winter pool cover does, of course, require that the water stays in the pool so with a leak your options are limited.

Consider also using a winter air pillow under the cover but again if you have leak you are in trouble!

Jim

My concern was with the cover and the weight of the snow.

With no water in the pool, if the cover had snow on it, isn't there a signficant risk of the sidewalls caving in?

It seems the best soultion is to get some one out there to find the leak and repair the liner before it gets too cold??

After all you are going to have to fix it soone or later, why not now?

Or get in the pool with a mask and search every inch of the liner, focusing at first along any seams? Also feeling along the sand to find any erosion might help. Sure it make take all day to do, but searching for a leak in the pool all day might be better than replacing the liner or the entire pool next spring? No?

Tell the kids you give who ever finds the leak $50. They'll find it.

If I were that kid, I'd just make a new hole and grab the 50.. ;)

Anyways, we don't get snow were I live. I have to get in the car and drive

several hours to see some. Strange stuff..

Now, I'm still planning on draining the pool during our SoCal "winter".

So, is it OK to put the cover on in this case?

If I were that kid, I'd just make a new hole and grab the 50.. ;)

Anyways, we don't get snow were I live. I have to get in the car and drive

several hours to see some. Strange stuff..

Now, I'm still planning on draining the pool during our SoCal "winter".

So, is it OK to put the cover on in this case?

"Son, I'll give $10 for every hole you find in the pool."

20 minutes later...

"Hey Dad," as he holds a pair of scissors behind his back , "Guess what?? I found 35 holes in the liner!! Pay up!" :P

Yea. snow it's heavy and crusingfanatic says he is in New York State...I think they get some snow everyone once in a while.

Or get in the pool with a mask and search every inch of the liner, focusing at first along any seams? Also feeling along the sand to find any erosion might help. Sure it make take all day to do, but searching for a leak in the pool all day might be better than replacing the liner or the entire pool next spring? No?
In the spring when I was pretty sure there was a leak, I drained the pool down to about an inch deep and examined every sq inch of the bottom on my knees. TWICE!!!! Nothing.

I also washed down the sides really good with a cloth looking for something wrong.

TWICE!!! Nothing.

No erosion as a leak would cause.

In the spring when I was pretty sure there was a leak, I drained the pool down to about an inch deep and examined every sq inch of the bottom on my knees. TWICE!!!! Nothing.

I also washed down the sides really good with a cloth looking for something wrong.

TWICE!!! Nothing.

No erosion as a leak would cause.

Did you let the pool leak out on it's own (as oposed to draining) This will at least let you know at what level in the liner the leak is at.

What I am struggeling with is, what is going to change between now and next spring? If the pool has any value, why not fix it now and not take the chance of additional damage? Why not get a liner put in now, (might be less of a wait). I am sure installers are much buisier in spring than in the fall?

(and I'm playing devils advocate here, I'm not a liner expert...I'm just thinking out loud what i would do....)