Buying First Hot Tub

jeanne

:huh: Could anyone tell me if the Ultimate 11 best of class spa at 5500.00 sold at sams club is good? Of corse all the info I was sent from them looks could. I need help. thanks

Most will say that you won't have any support if there is a failure of some sort. It would be better to get a middle tier from one of the majors (HS, Sundance, Arctic, D1, Jacuzzi, Marquis...etc)

I don't know anything about that one, but that price seems a little high for an unknown brand. I can understand getting one for $2,995 at a box club, but by the time you get up to $5,500, you have some more choices.

I am getting the largest Jacuuzi in the 200 series(J-280) for $7K with plenty of options and accessories. The J-230 is smaller and comparable to the one you are looking at. I would guess the price can't be too far. Plus you can order the cabinet in 3 colors and the shell in 7. This is just an example, but for $5,500 I would look at some specialty stores.

Have you considered looking at a higher end used spa? We got our Hot Springs tub used and are very happy with it. Some of the cheaper tubs we looked at did not even have insulatoin.... not toi mention the problem with getting 'service' if something goes wrong. I do all my own maintenance on things so the bigest service item for me was parts access... my local Hot Springs dealer has been helpful, as has Hot Springs who sent me a manual at no charge.

My two cents.

I wouldn’t buy a hot tub with a lounger without wet testing it first. If it doesn’t fit you a big chunk of the seating is no good.

I agree with one of the other posters, I wouldn’t get one of the higher priced tubs from a box store, if I did buy one it would be one of the cheaper ones. I got one of the Keys tubs from Sams Club almost 3 years ago but I paid less then 3K for it. For 5 or 6K price range and above I would go to a dealer for the extra support.

If I had to do it all over again I wouldn’t have got my tub from Sams Club, I would have got the similar tub at Costco. If you do buy one from a box store at least Costco has the great return policy to fall back on.

Another thing to keep in mind, the two main companies (keys & hydro) that sold tubs to the big box stores the last couple of years both went under. Infinity seems to be the main company that has slid in to there place recently. It seems to me that these companies are trying to sell them at too little a margin and hoping the volume will make up for it and it doesn’t seem to be working.

Good luck with your hot tub search. Hope you can find something that you like at a price that is reasonable to you.