Another Cloudy Water Dilema

cbroadway

Hello all, I am currently mad at my pool...

I have a cloudy water issue that isn't clearing up. I've read a BILLION posts about the 'whys' and 'hows' of cloudy water, but still am discouraged.

Here are the details:

Out of town for a week, and came back to a green pool. Added 6 gallons of bleach, but still green the next morning. Added 10 more gallons, which did kill algae, but left me with a blue, cloudy pool. Many posts say to simply wait and let the filter (sand) do its thing, but 3 days of constant filtration had no effect. I brush and vac (to waste) daily, but not clearing up. I even leave the vac head submerged at the bottom while I'm at work all day, hoping to keep water circulating from deep down.

5 days ago, I added 16 oz. of clarifier (cationic polymer), did not help. Then I read that adding clarifier directly into skimmer sometimes does not work with a sand filter, as it 'globs' up the sand rather than the solids in the water.

Yesterday, I got into the filter and did find lots of gel-like clumps of sand. I'm assuming that was my clarifier. So this morning I added another 16 oz. of clarifier directly to water (5 days after initial dose). As of 10:00 pm, water hasn't changed.

Is it possible that I've overdosed on clarifier, and if so, what can be done?

More details:

-- 27' above-ground vinyl liner

-- 5' deep

-- 19,000 gallons

-- sand filter

-- maintained daily (except when I'm on vacation for a week - - Ha!)

-- using (and LOVING) BBB

-- pH 7.2

-- chlorine 3 ppm

-- TA 50 (sounds low, but pH is stable)

-- CYA 30 ppm

-- never had issues with hard water or metals, so haven't been testing for it

Thanks for any and all responses!

Your Alk is way too low you need to bring it up to the 100 range Your PH at the moment is on the low end. Your strips may say its in the "OK" range but you need to be at around 7.5 -7.6 right now. Once you bring everything into proper balance the cloudiness will dissipate. Also you must backwash sufficiently each day as well.

Hello all, I am currently mad at my pool...

I have a cloudy water issue that isn't clearing up. I've read a BILLION posts about the 'whys' and 'hows' of cloudy water, but still am discouraged.

Here are the details:

Out of town for a week, and came back to a green pool. Added 6 gallons of bleach, but still green the next morning. Added 10 more gallons, which did kill algae, but left me with a blue, cloudy pool. Many posts say to simply wait and let the filter (sand) do its thing, but 3 days of constant filtration had no effect. I brush and vac (to waste) daily, but not clearing up. I even leave the vac head submerged at the bottom while I'm at work all day, hoping to keep water circulating from deep down.

5 days ago, I added 16 oz. of clarifier (cationic polymer), did not help. Then I read that adding clarifier directly into skimmer sometimes does not work with a sand filter, as it 'globs' up the sand rather than the solids in the water.

Yesterday, I got into the filter and did find lots of gel-like clumps of sand. I'm assuming that was my clarifier. So this morning I added another 16 oz. of clarifier directly to water (5 days after initial dose). As of 10:00 pm, water hasn't changed.

Is it possible that I've overdosed on clarifier, and if so, what can be done?

More details:

-- 27' above-ground vinyl liner

-- 5' deep

-- 19,000 gallons

-- sand filter

-- maintained daily (except when I'm on vacation for a week - - Ha!)

-- using (and LOVING) BBB

-- pH 7.2

-- chlorine 3 ppm

-- TA 50 (sounds low, but pH is stable)

-- CYA 30 ppm

-- never had issues with hard water or metals, so haven't been testing for it

Thanks for any and all responses!

With a CYA of 30 your target FC is 4ppm, right now you at high risk of having another Algae outbreak.

The Ideal range of TA is 70-100ppm, I would bring it up a tat, but remember your PH will move with it, so adjust that first before you add anything to bring your PH up..

It can take up to a week to filter the dead algae out , I suspect that's where your cloudiness comes from...Last but not least get your a good drop based test kit, like the Taylor K- 2006 or this one Here

Just an update...

I added 2 gallons of bleach last night.

Most pool calculators I consult say I need about 18 pounds of baking soda to raise the TA by 70 ppm. (Recall, I am currently at 30 ppm). I added 10 boxes (10 pounds) of baking soda today.

Anyone know how long I should wait before I add the other 8 pounds? Many sources say you shouldn't add that much (18 pounds) all at one time.

Thanks!

Just an update...

I added 2 gallons of bleach last night.

Most pool calculators I consult say I need about 18 pounds of baking soda to raise the TA by 70 ppm. (Recall, I am currently at 30 ppm). I added 10 boxes (10 pounds) of baking soda today.

Anyone know how long I should wait before I add the other 8 pounds? Many sources say you shouldn't add that much (18 pounds) all at one time.

Thanks!

Give it at least 2 hours to mix with your Water, then retest to see where you at, you don't want to overshoot your target.

It's easier to bring it up, then back down..

After you got where you want it check your PH, and make the adjustment

Keeping the PH in check is the first key. But then you have to recover from the situation of having foreign stuff in the pool.

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=12758

I had a problem this season when I opened my pool. It sounds the same as yours. I finally resolved it using a Super Floc. I had to use 2 treatments of the Super Floc, but it cleared the water in 2 days. Follow the instructions on the label and then turn your filter off overnight and the dead alge will settle to the bottom and you can vacume it to waste. I had to do this 2 nights in a row, but it solved the problem. I am working on the assumption that it is alge that you have making it cloudy. You can buy Super Floc in any good pool store.

JimK

Is Super Floc different than the HTH Brand Clarifier? I have used the clarifier several times since this all began, but it has helped none.

I do agree, however, that my issue is dead algae in the water.

Thanks

Any of the clarifier's are a milder remedy than the Super Floc. When it settles to the bottom overnight the qualities of the Super Floc seem to hold the alge together and gives you a chance to vacume it to waste without scattering it into suspension again. Make sure you put your filter in waste mode when you vacume or it will clog up the filter very quickly if you have a large amount of alge on the bottom in the morning. Tou will have to add water to your pool depending on how long it takes you to vacume. It is the same principal but a much stronger formula than clarifier. I tried the clarifier's too before I used the Super Floc and they did not have very good results. The Super Floc comes in many brand names. They all should be good, but I think the one I used was from "Sun Chemical". Hope this helps.

JimK

Is Super Floc different than the HTH Brand Clarifier? I have used the clarifier several times since this all began, but it has helped none.

I do agree, however, that my issue is dead algae in the water.

Thanks

Any of the clarifier's are a milder remedy than the Super Floc. When it settles to the bottom overnight the qualities of the Super Floc seem to hold the alge together and gives you a chance to vacume it to waste without scattering it into suspension again. Make sure you put your filter in waste mode when you vacume or it will clog up the filter very quickly if you have a large amount of alge on the bottom in the morning. You will have to add water to your pool depending on how long it takes you to vacume. It is the same principal but a much stronger formula than clarifier. I tried the clarifier's too before I used the Super Floc and they did not have very good results. The Super Floc comes in many brand names. They all should be good, but I think the one I used was from "Sun Chemical". Hope this helps.

JimK

Update...

I now have the TA at about 90, which also took pH up to 7.6. I plan to raise TA a little higher this evening. We got rain today, so I'm sure my chlorine has needs, too. I'll address those things this evening. I stretched a couple of nylon hose over the skimmer basket in an attempt to catch some goodies, which it did. YUK! I have been rinsing them out every few hours, and I can actually almost see the bottom of the pool! YES!

Keep sending your input, everyone. I'm learning a lot here. Thanks!

Update...

I now have the TA at about 90, which also took pH up to 7.6. I plan to raise TA a little higher this evening. We got rain today, so I'm sure my chlorine has needs, too. I'll address those things this evening. I stretched a couple of nylon hose over the skimmer basket in an attempt to catch some goodies, which it did. YUK! I have been rinsing them out every few hours, and I can actually almost see the bottom of the pool! YES!

Keep sending your input, everyone. I'm learning a lot here. Thanks!

In my humbled opinion, I would leave the TA right where it is..90 gives you a lil room to play with.

Check your chlorine, and dose it accordingly..

I'm a strong believer the less stuff you but in your pool, the better, I think in some cases Floc is a option, I just don't think it addresses the real problem....

A lot of Times a got dose of POP is all it takes......Oh yeah , that's Pool Owner Patience.. :D

And just In case I have not mention it, weekly brushing is a must... :D

Happy Swimming

Update...

TA = 100

pH 7.8

chlorine 2 ppm

Things are getting better. I can see the bottom well today, though water is pretty dull-looking. I brused and vacuumed really good this morning. I'll add some muratic acid this afternoon, and some bleach tonight after the sun goes down. I've also been rinsing the nylon hose (on the skimmer basket) several times a day. I think they are helping a lot.

Thanks again, all.

Getting Better? You should be swimming by now!

Go get some Pool First Aid.

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Chemicals/Na...Pool-First-Aid/

The natural enzymes will eat up that junk.