When Is The Best Time To Buy A Pool?

melly

We've been looking into getting an oval above-ground pool for our new house that we just moved in to. We've been to a couple pool stores and have been given a few estimates. We are not in any hurry to buy one for this summer (next year would be great though!). I'm trying to figure out what time of year is the best to buy a pool. Are there better deals in the winter? Any information on the matter will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Melly

We've been looking into getting an oval above-ground pool for our new house that we just moved in to. We've been to a couple pool stores and have been given a few estimates. We are not in any hurry to buy one for this summer (next year would be great though!). I'm trying to figure out what time of year is the best to buy a pool. Are there better deals in the winter? Any information on the matter will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Melly

If the pool store has inventory in stock you might be able to get a better deal. Only because they don't won't to hold onto inventory over the winter. This is not true for some stores though. Also consider this year pool prices will more than likely go up next spring, if you can swing it buy the pool and then store at your house until spring

We got ours with the Income Tax Refund. I think it was some time in March. They said they could save us $400 to $600 if we waited until the 4th of July for their BIG 4TH SALE, but that was going to be 5 months away. We opted not to wait and bought and had it installed in March.

We suggest you shop for your pool and then shop for your installation contractor separately (unless you plan to do it yourselves).

We replaced our first above ground pool after 15 years and found the best deal at poolproducts.com. Their prices were best at that time (5 yrs ago) and included shipping and with no sales tax. It was delivered right to our doorway via a 18 wheeler.

We had also done a lot of local area research and calling around and found a reliable installer - he probably over charged us but we wanted an unusual installation.

Whatever you decide first do a lot of thinking and a lot of research. We suggest you look into aluminum pools - more expensive but well worth the extra cash - they don't rust like vinyl clad steel pools.

We also suggest you talk to pool contractors/installers that are familiar with above ground pools with extended depth using a variable depth liner. The biggest advantage of above ground pools is price. The biggest disadvantage is lack of depth and weak filtration systems.

We believe our pool combined price advantage with in-ground amenities. Our first contractor 20 years ago dug out our pool's 27 ft diameter so that it could be sunk about 1/2 down into the ground. Then he dug out the center so that the pool sloped down to a six 1/2 ft center depth with a main drain. Then he installed a soft gunite concrete floor just like used with in-ground vinyl lined pools. Finally, he placed pvc to the main drain and multiple outlets from a powerful in-ground pump and cartridge filter system to a location on a slab away from the pool beside our garage.

The result was an above ground pool sitting partially buried on the structure of an in-ground pool which 20 years ago cost us only $4,500 total saving us about $20k or more of the cost of a in-ground 27ft round concrete pool. Since you live in Canada where the ground probably hard freezes you probably can't consider sinking your pool into the ground but most of our other modifications would work for you.

We were swimming yesterday afternoon and the variable liner and extra depth makes SUCH A BIG difference - to be able to wade out to water up to your neck or even over your head makes the extra cost of the variable depth lines and having the deeper bottom dug well worth the cash even if you don't do the other things as described above.

We learned that having the bottom main drain a priceless addition. As our original contractor said - "Why vacuum when you can just sweep debris into the drain." Boy, did he know what he was talking about plus having this second draw to the filter along with the traditional pool wall skimmer and the more powerful pump makes water maintenance a LOT easier.

GoodLuck with whatever you do and enjoy your pool!

We suggest you shop for your pool and then shop for your installation contractor separately (unless you plan to do it yourselves).

We replaced our first above ground pool after 15 years and found the best deal at poolproducts.com. Their prices were best at that time (5 yrs ago) and included shipping and with no sales tax. It was delivered right to our doorway via a 18 wheeler.

We had also done a lot of local area research and calling around and found a reliable installer - he probably over charged us but we wanted an unusual installation.

I would recomend that you buy from a local reputable dealer and not buy a pool from someone who does not sell, install and service them.

I recomend dealing with a reputable local dealer who does his own installs. Deal with someone who has been in business and has a solid reputation. Ask around. Check the BBB. GO with a quality brand name with a good warranty.

Go with someone who will be there to help you out and stand behind the product and the install. If your pool collapses next spring, you don't need the installer blaming the pool manufactuer, or vice versa.

In fact, a quality dealer will insist he do the install. It's the only way to ensure you get a quality job done right.

Whatever you decide first do a lot of thinking and a lot of research. We suggest you look into aluminum pools - more expensive but well worth the extra cash - they don't rust like vinyl clad steel pools.

We also suggest you talk to pool contractors/installers that are familiar with above ground pools with extended depth using a variable depth liner. The biggest advantage of above ground pools is price. The biggest disadvantage is lack of depth and weak filtration systems.

Huh? Single Depth Pool is a not a disadvantage. It's just a style.

In fact to many folks it's a deseriable feature. When you're floating around depth means nothing. When hosting large pool parties, a single depth pool (say 56") is nice, espically when playing volly ball and such.

A single depth pool is easier to clean and keep clean. You get better ciruclation as well.

A single depth pool is usally warmer.

A single deapth pool is more child friendly.

A single depth pool is less exspensive to install, gives you more pools to choose from and if you ever have to replace the liner, a variable detpht pool liner is more $, harder to find and more difficult to install. I personally think the variable depth AGP are kind of a fad. Unless you are exceptonaly tall, a 56" deep pool should be fine.

If I was going to spend the extra money on a pool, I would go with the highest quality I could afford with the best filtation rather than the extra exspense of a V-depth.

Next time you go to a pool party notice where everyone is in the pool. Usually it's in the shallow end where you can stand and relax and not have to tread water, or hang onto a float/or the side. A round, single depth pool gives you the most swimming area bang for your buck.

Filtration should not be an issue with a quality AGP. Once again, go with a quality dealer who can match the appropriate sized filter and pump to your pool. Let me repeat" Filtration should not be a problem with AGP. NOT AT ALL. A reputable dealer will ensure you have the right set up. In fact single depth above ground pools when they have a quality filter and pump are easier than other pools to keep clean.

We believe our pool combined price advantage with in-ground amenities. Our first contractor 20 years ago dug out our pool's 27 ft diameter so that it could be sunk about 1/2 down into the ground. Then he dug out the center so that the pool sloped down to a six 1/2 ft center depth with a main drain. Then he installed a soft gunite concrete floor just like used with in-ground vinyl lined pools. Finally, he placed pvc to the main drain and multiple outlets from a powerful in-ground pump and cartridge filter system to a location on a slab away from the pool beside our garage.

The result was an above ground pool sitting partially buried on the structure of an in-ground pool which 20 years ago cost us only $4,500 total saving us about $20k or more of the cost of a in-ground 27ft round concrete pool. Since you live in Canada where the ground probably hard freezes you probably can't consider sinking your pool into the ground but most of our other modifications would work for you.

We were swimming yesterday afternoon and the variable liner and extra depth makes SUCH A BIG difference - to be able to wade out to water up to your neck or even over your head makes the extra cost of the variable depth lines and having the deeper bottom dug well worth the cash even if you don't do the other things as described above.

We learned that having the bottom main drain a priceless addition. As our original contractor said - "Why vacuum when you can just sweep debris into the drain." Boy, did he know what he was talking about plus having this second draw to the filter along with the traditional pool wall skimmer and the more powerful pump makes water maintenance a LOT easier.

GoodLuck with whatever you do and enjoy your pool!

Once again, I belive pool depth to be a personal choice, and in many cases a big disadvantage. In some cases an inground pool is not an option.

Bottom drains can be a saftey risk if you filter through them. If you go with a bottom drain make sure they use an anti entrapment cover on them.

However, I really don't see the need for a bottom drain on an AGP. . On the exreamly rare occasion of draining the pool a sump pump works just as well. And if you have good filtration, a bottom drain to help keep the pool clean isn't necessary. If you have a deep pool then it may have an advantage to help keep the water circulating at the deeper depths. Just please ensure you have anit entrapment cover on that drain.

Better yet. Don't get a bottom drain at all. It's unnessary on an AGP and a HUGE saftey risk.

I do agree with going with the alluminum side walls for a pool No rust. And if you go with alluminum cap rails and side supports go with an extruded alluminium. Stamped alluminum will not offer any streagth. Hevy, extruded alluminum is the best.

I've had pools all my life (Above and inground). Shop around. Buy quality. Check out the dealer. if you want something you will have in your yard for many years and enjoy, then buy a quality brand pool with quality filtration and installation. A pool will become a big part of the yard. Dont go "cheap" Go quality from a reputable, experienced dealer.

I have an Esther Williams 21 round and it has been a superior pool and recomend that you if you have a dealer in your area, to at least check them out.

Stay away from Department stores and Namco. I am also really hesitent to go over the internet.

Go with a local installer/dealer and check them out.

I have a Haywood sand filter which works great, althogh my brother in law uses DE and if I ever replace my sand filter I think I might gi with the DE. I have a 1.5 HP pump that does a bang of job of keeping my pool *crystal* clear. A solid filter with the appropriate sized pump is the key (As well as running your pump every day).

I also put on a pool light wich I really enjoy sitting up on my deck at night and seeing the pool light up. However, it does show all the imperfections on my sand bottom. IT's not a huge deal. just a very small nit. If I had to do it again, I would spend the extra couple of bucks and have a foam bottom installed for a cleaner look with the night lights.

Buy quality from a reputable dealer. It's worth it and cheaper in the long run.

When is the best time to buy? That's debatable. I can tell you the WORST time is early summer when demand is at the highest. (And install teams are booked up).

I'd say shop around in the Fall and take your time. You then can have the dealer come out to your place and do a pre install inspection, (no snow on the ground) and help you choose the right size, and location. This will give you plenty of time to also get any electrical work done, trim up or remove any trees, get a leg up on any yard work you need to do, and be first on the list to be installed in the Late Spring of the following year.

The home shows in the spring usually have several pool dealers to talk with, but keep in mind, that thier install schedules are filling up. If you wait too long the you wont be using your new pool until the end of the summer.