Your Pool Coping Thoughts, Please

topnurse

I'm thinking about the coping....I've been advised by several "experts" ;) to use "quartzite" if I go the "flagstone" look as opposed to other materials (such as sandstone) for durability.

Questions:

In looking at the different types of quartzite, they seem to have a washed-out look. I realize that it will look richer when wet but that is only a small part of the time. Any quartzite selections out there that look less so? I am aware that you can use a sealant but would rather not since I'm told it is not cheap and has to be redone about yearly.

If you have used a flagstone, do you find this "uneven" edging physically uncomfortable, particularly in the spa? It just looks like it might be rough.

I love candilevered look but in my area I have been advised to only do it if it has "joints", which, to me, spoils the whole look you would be trying to achieve with this type of thing. Anyone have any thoughts on the "jointed" candilevered coping and beyond?

Any other copings that you may have used and like, why or why not?

Thanks for your time,

Topnurse

Temecula,CA

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking about the coping....I've been advised by several "experts" ;) to use "quartzite" if I go the "flagstone" look as opposed to other materials (such as sandstone) for durability.

Questions:

In looking at the different types of quartzite, they seem to have a washed-out look. I realize that it will look richer when wet but that is only a small part of the time. Any quartzite selections out there that look less so? I am aware that you can use a sealant but would rather not since I'm told it is not cheap and has to be redone about yearly.

If you have used a flagstone, do you find this "uneven" edging physically uncomfortable, particularly in the spa? It just looks like it might be rough.

I love candilevered look but in my area I have been advised to only do it if it has "joints", which, to me, spoils the whole look you would be trying to achieve with this type of thing. Anyone have any thoughts on the "jointed" candilevered coping and beyond?

Any other copings that you may have used and like, why or why not?

Thanks for your time,

Topnurse

Temecula,CA

I used flagstone (Arizona Rose) for my coping as well as on the face of the hot tub.

I was worried the coping all around the deck would look uneven due to the differing thickness

of the flagstone. It is very even and looks great. My coping is lighter and then darkens when

wet (which is fine). As far as the the spa goes it is not uncomfortable. I am in Texas and

would say most coping is done in flagstone. I'll post a picture so you can take a look.

Hope this helps.

BTW I raised the spa an additional 12" and it looks better.

• 2 weeks later...

I used flagstone (Arizona Rose) for my coping as well as on the face of the hot tub.

I was worried the coping all around the deck would look uneven due to the differing thickness

of the flagstone. It is very even and looks great. My coping is lighter and then darkens when

wet (which is fine). As far as the the spa goes it is not uncomfortable. I am in Texas and

would say most coping is done in flagstone. I'll post a picture so you can take a look.

Hope this helps.

BTW I raised the spa an additional 12" and it looks better.

Hi Burgos! I think I have seen the material you used (not sure....I've seen so many they start to all get hazy in my memory!) - is it a "quartzite"? I would love to see the pic you mentioned you'd post - the more pics I see of others' projects, the better. It's tough to look at a palette of stone on a lot and imagine it around your pool and spa!

Thanks,

topnurse

temecula

consider granite?

Thanks for the post, pool boy but.....granite? Won't I need a second (or a third now) on my house to afford it? I would have thought granite would be expensive.

Is granite often used for coping and pool applications? Have you seen it used? And?

Just tryiong to get educated here!

Thanks,

Topnurse

Temecula

Hi Burgos! I think I have seen the material you used (not sure....I've seen so many they start to all get hazy in my memory!) - is it a "quartzite"? I would love to see the pic you mentioned you'd post - the more pics I see of others' projects, the better. It's tough to look at a palette of stone on a lot and imagine it around your pool and spa!

Thanks,

topnurse

temecula

Thanks for the post, pool boy but.....granite? Won't I need a second (or a third now) on my house to afford it? I would have thought granite would be expensive.

Is granite often used for coping and pool applications? Have you seen it used? And?

Thanks,

Topnurse

Temecula

We used concrete brick as coping,and for the "field" around the pool. Very durable,and as we live in FL,it doesn't retain the heat etc as other products. Easy on our feet etc.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

And ? Why are you called "topnurse"

Thanks,

topnurse

temecula

Thanks,

Topnurse

Temecula

Thanks,

topnurse

temecula

Thanks,

Topnurse

Temecula

Hello Topnurse, I'm trying to figure out how to post a pic. I'll figure it out soon.

I've got several you can take a look at.