Master Spa Filter Question

Ep7735

I just purchased a pleatco filter for my new, but used, master spa ls700. My intention was to take the eco pur filter out, wash it, and let it dry while I use the pleatco. Then, when the pleatco is ready to be cleaned...switch them again. When I went to take out the ecopur filter, I noticed the spa had two filters. I replaced the one on the left, but I didn't know if they were both ecopur filters or what. I checked the manual and could not find mention that my hot tub had two filters. I guess my concern is whether or not I replaced the correct filter...it seemed to fit.

Pictures would help to explain what you are talking about.

But I will assume that your spa has the same setup as my master spa.

There are two filters side by side. Both filters should be cleaned or replaced at the same time.

In addition, if your spa is like mine, there is a smaller, inner filter (the eco pur filter) and then a larger filter that surrounds the smaller filter. The large, outer filter is just a regular spa filter. It can be removed and cleaned over and over again. Use a filter cleaning solution to help get the gunk out of it.

The small, inner filters are the eco pur filters. These are the ones with the minerals in them that help purify your water. (I use the Pleatco filters instead of the eco pur filters). These filters should also be removed and cleaned periodicaly. However, DO NOT use a filter cleaning solution on these filters. It can damage the minerals or something. So just clean this with water.

Also, if I remember correctly, once the eco pur filters get wet, you should not let them dry out again. For some reason, drying them out causes them to stop working as purification filters. So your plan of keeping spares, and swapping them out each time you need to clean them, might not work.

I would guess that you could run your spa as is for a few days, until you get another pleatco filter. Or, just run the eco pur filters for another few days until you can get more pleatco filters. It shouldn't hurt anything.

I hope this helped.

The outer filter should be cleaned more often. About once per month, depending on use. But I just clean them both at the same time. You already have the spa shut down to pull the filter, it's not a big deal to pull all the filters and clean them all at once.

Since you bought your spa used, I would suggest replacing all of the filters with new ones. At least, that's what I did. You never know what's in there from the previous owner. :blink::lol:

Then you might want to clean your filters after the first few days of running the spa, in case there was any weird junk in the pipes. I say all of this because I bought mine used from a guy that did not do proper maintenance, or regular chemistry checks. So my first six months of ownership were a nightmare of chasing the chemistry all over the place because so much crud was coming out of the pipes. In retrospect, I should have run a system flush on it the first week, and drained and refilled it to get all the crud out. It would have saved me a lot of hassle.

Anyways, if your water chemistry is stable, and the water is staying clear, then I wouldn't worry too much about weird crud. But if you are having a lot of problems with water chemistry, and you suspect that the previous owner didn't do good maintenance, then you might want to flush the system, and drain and refill the tub to get the water clean.

That's just my 2 cents.