Pentair Heater And Equipment Question

Jeffbg

I'm a new pool owner with all pentair equipment. I notice that when I turn on the spa (manual heat mode), then it comes on and runs the spa. Once it reaches the target temp, the heater shuts off.

Now, as it cools, the heater does not come back on when I would expect it to. I called Pentair and they said that the temp has to drop by 3-4 degrees before it comes back on. We've observed that it overheats the spa a few degrees before shutting off the heater in the first place too.

Is this something configurable or some sort of problem? It seems that the temperature reading at any given time is about right. The pool with solar seems to heat up and shut off the solar at about the right times.

Thanks for any advice!

- Jeff

I'm a new pool owner with all pentair equipment. I notice that when I turn on the spa (manual heat mode), then it comes on and runs the spa. Once it reaches the target temp, the heater shuts off.

Now, as it cools, the heater does not come back on when I would expect it to. I called Pentair and they said that the temp has to drop by 3-4 degrees before it comes back on. We've observed that it overheats the spa a few degrees before shutting off the heater in the first place too.

Is this something configurable or some sort of problem? It seems that the temperature reading at any given time is about right. The pool with solar seems to heat up and shut off the solar at about the right times.

Thanks for any advice!

- Jeff

From reading this Manual mode you are using the controls on the heater itself, not a automation pool product?

It sounds to me that the temp sensor (heater with a digital display) or thermostat(on/off switch with a dial old heaters) is not reading correctly. If it is going more than one degree past it set point and not shutting off or turning back on. the temp sensor should be checked. I do not see to many Pentair heaters, but Sta-rite, Jandy, And Haywards all shut off at the set point and come back on within 2 degrees when calling for heat. Most are dead on though

Pentair might have its product different. If the issue gets worse were it overheating a lot or taking longer to turn back, I would get it looked at.

From reading this Manual mode you are using the controls on the heater itself, not a automation pool product?

It sounds to me that the temp sensor (heater with a digital display) or thermostat(on/off switch with a dial old heaters) is not reading correctly. If it is going more than one degree past it set point and not shutting off or turning back on. the temp sensor should be checked. I do not see to many Pentair heaters, but Sta-rite, Jandy, And Haywards all shut off at the set point and come back on within 2 degrees when calling for heat. Most are dead on though

Pentair might have its product different. If the issue gets worse were it overheating a lot or taking longer to turn back, I would get it looked at.

We have an Intellitouch i7 controller attached. It seems that it controls the pool well enough, though I suppose that the heater and the controller temp sensor could be out of alignment with each other.

Any other suggestions?

-- jeff

I don't have a spa or an IntelliTouch, but I do have all Pentair equipment w/ my inground Pool (EasyTouch, IntelliChlor IC40 and MasterTemp). I don't use the heater much, but I can tell you that my heater shuts down when it reaches the programmed temperature. I don't usually check the control panel in the morning - don't do much but rinse the sock in the skimmer, and maybe skim the pool quickly if necessary - but I'm pretty sure that the heater responds to a 1F drop in temp. You may have a fault somewhere - 3-4F differential doesn't sound right to me, and I'm surprised Pentair said otherwise. Is this re: your spa only, or your pool as well? Maybe that's the norm for spas.

We have an Intellitouch i7 controller attached. It seems that it controls the pool well enough, though I suppose that the heater and the controller temp sensor could be out of alignment with each other.

Any other suggestions?

-- jeff

If you have two seperate sensors for heating 1 for the pool solar and 1 for spa heater. If you can you might want to try to swap the sensors and see how that reacts. This all depands on the plumbing and your set up. It sound like the spa temp sensor is not reading correctly