To Backfill Or Not To Backfill...

Sarah1

Hi I am new to this forum and a new pool owner. We have purchased a 12x24 AGP and have started the leveling process. We had to go down 3 feet on the one end to make it level and are wondering the best way to proceed from here. Is it safe to backfill against the side of the pool that deep, or is it better to build a retaining wall? We honestly would rather not build a wall, but if it is recommended we certainly can. Information on either method would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi I am new to this forum and a new pool owner. We have purchased a 12x24 AGP and have started the leveling process. We had to go down 3 feet on the one end to make it level and are wondering the best way to proceed from here. Is it safe to backfill against the side of the pool that deep, or is it better to build a retaining wall? We honestly would rather not build a wall, but if it is recommended we certainly can. Information on either method would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I am in the same boat as you! Glad to knw that I am not alone in this "mini crisis"...I have been told so many different things that I am not sure what to do...is backfilling bad becasue of ground pressure or becasue of moisture around the wall of the pool will promote rust? I was going to carefully backfill with gravel (By hand so I wouldn't scratch the wall and break the plastic coating) and put a french drain around the bottom of the wall all the way around the pool.

So if anyone has successfully backfilled a pool please share your experience...I have got to make a decision this weekend to keep the ground from sliding into space.

Hi All, i had a 27' round abg pool installed this April and faced this same dilemma. I asked the installer and he told me that i was warranted up to 18" i had about 12" gap on one side. I back filled and put about 2' of yellow stone to keep the weeds from growing. Hope this helps.

Backfilling is OK with any area about the size of a dinner plate and no more than an inch deep. Anything more can cause issues.