Just Bought A House With A Hot Tub. What Do I Need To Know?

dm800

Hi guys. I just bought a house that has a 2001 Dimension One Aurora II hot tub. I haven't really had a chance to mess with it or anything because I have been too busy unpacking things, but I went in once just to relax after moving! Anyways, the previous owner's left a bunch of documentation and chemicals for it. It must be on some program because it is warm and I hear it turn on every once in awhile. The one thing I did notice though is that the LCD panel is very faded and I can hardly read it. I can barely see the temperature and cant see anything else that it says, so I dont really know what it is doing. Any idea what that might cost to fix? I don't really have a lot of extra money right now, but was wondering if it would be worth it to have someone come by and just show me some basic maintenance and operation routines of it. The water also looks a lil greenish too so I wonder if I should start out by draining and refilling it.

Hi guys. I just bought a house that has a 2001 Dimension One Aurora II hot tub. I haven't really had a chance to mess with it or anything because I have been too busy unpacking things, but I went in once just to relax after moving! Anyways, the previous owner's left a bunch of documentation and chemicals for it. It must be on some program because it is warm and I hear it turn on every once in awhile. The one thing I did notice though is that the LCD panel is very faded and I can hardly read it. I can barely see the temperature and cant see anything else that it says, so I dont really know what it is doing. Any idea what that might cost to fix? I don't really have a lot of extra money right now, but was wondering if it would be worth it to have someone come by and just show me some basic maintenance and operation routines of it. The water also looks a lil greenish too so I wonder if I should start out by draining and refilling it.

I would start by draining and refilling it and dialing in your Alkalinity and pH. I would also clean your filter as who knows how long it's been in there or what has been going on in your spa before you got it. I would also have a spa tech check it over and make sure everything is alright, and maybe see about replacing the LCD panel, as that will be very useful.

Ok that sounds like a good idea. Should I drain and clean it before they come out? Any idea how much it usually costs to have someone come out and check it out?

I'd drain it and clean/replace the filter and call spa dealerships that are close and start asking for prices. I bought a Sundance spa a few years ago and they still come out for free.

That sounds like a plan. I don't know if this is something you can answer or not, but right now it must be programmed to turn off and on because I hear it go on once in awhile. If I disconnect the power to drain it, will I have to reprogram it again, or will it continue to run on occasion by itself? My concern is if I do have to program it, I won't be able to because of the LCD being illegible.

Ok that sounds like a good idea. Should I drain and clean it before they come out? Any idea how much it usually costs to have someone come out and check it out?

I'd drain it and clean/replace the filter and call spa dealerships that are close and start asking for prices. I bought a Sundance spa a few years ago and they still come out for free.

My advice - get rid of all the old chemical bottles and get a chlorine generation system. Your life will be better. Check out ColorChlor or Spa Pilot. I use the ColorChlor with salt, baking soda and white vinegar it has a boost mode so I rarely need to use non chlorine shock. I know a couple of people that have Spa Pilots and are happy with their water it but you have to use their power pouches before and after use or it will void your warranty.

Happy Hot Tubbing! :D