How Do I Rid Myself Of A Sunken Hot Tub?

kmcberry

OK, so I closed on a new home last Fall with an Imperial B61 (1997) sunken hot tub in the back deck. My wife & I were not thrilled with this amenity given that we have small children & really don't have time for hot-tubbing, so we had it professionally closed up for the winter months.

I had a change of heart & decided to at least try it out this Summer, so I had the vendor come out to open it up, clean it & get it operating. Upon doing so, it turns out that the heater is dead. It will cost me $325 to replace it, not to mention the $100 I already paid him for his initial service call.

I now want to get rid of this hot tub entirely, but cannot think of any logistically feasible options as to how to make that happen:

*Would there be any genuine interest in a spa that is 11 years old with expired warranty? I'm thinking "No".

*If I am able to sell it, how do I deal with the removal issues, given that it is sunken into my deck? Am I looking at $1,000s in labor costs, deck repair, etc.?

*If I am successful in selling it, do I need to hire a contractor to re-inspect the deck for stability?

Or am I simply screwed?

Many thanks,

Kevin

OK, so I closed on a new home last Fall with an Imperial B61 (1997) sunken hot tub in the back deck. My wife & I were not thrilled with this amenity given that we have small children & really don't have time for hot-tubbing, so we had it professionally closed up for the winter months.

I had a change of heart & decided to at least try it out this Summer, so I had the vendor come out to open it up, clean it & get it operating. Upon doing so, it turns out that the heater is dead. It will cost me $325 to replace it, not to mention the $100 I already paid him for his initial service call.

I now want to get rid of this hot tub entirely, but cannot think of any logistically feasible options as to how to make that happen:

*Would there be any genuine interest in a spa that is 11 years old with expired warranty? I'm thinking "No".

*If I am able to sell it, how do I deal with the removal issues, given that it is sunken into my deck? Am I looking at $1,000s in labor costs, deck repair, etc.?

*If I am successful in selling it, do I need to hire a contractor to re-inspect the deck for stability?

Or am I simply screwed?

Many thanks,

Kevin

Sawz-all

It would probably be cheaper to pay the $325 and get the heater fixed. You never know the kids may love it some day.

Other than than depending on how it is sunkin in you may need a crane to lift it out or just take a sledge hammer to hit.. BUt then the deck will still cost you more than $325 to fix.

Or am I simply screwed?

Many thanks,

Kevin

Sometimes a little creativity goes a long way. Dummy it up and make it a large planter. My friends did this with a pond they didn't want but again the cost was absurd to remove. Hope it works for you too.

I took out an in-ground last week. It took about three hours to get the thing up out of the hole and stripped of plumbing. The next day I went back with two helpers -

Used a reciprocating saw and cut it in half in under ten minutes. At that point we took one half out of the yard at a time - two trips and we were done.

The equipment stayed - I have installed a new shell and connected it to the existing plumbing.

You want your spa out for next to nothing? Cut it up and take it out in pieces. Hire a good handyman to fill in the deck. Be sure he simply matches the construction of the rest of the deck.

B)