2 Quick Questions

I'll get right to the point. How can I lower the TA without lowering pH? I am using dry acid, pH came down just fine, TA has only lowered slightly...pH 7.6, TA 180. Maybe it would help to say I live in a hard water area.

Also, we bought a used tub that came with some chemicals...bromine tabs, foam treatment, dry acid, pH up, msp shock. They look fine, bottles are aged a little, product seems to be clean, I have no idea of the age. Need to save money, and use what I can. Is there a rule of thumb on the shelf life?

Thanks,

Jaime

Jaime,

There is only one effective way to lower the [EDIT] TA [/EDIT] and that is to drive out carbon dioxide out of the water. You do that by lowering the pH to around 7.0 or 7.2 and then aerate the water while periodically adding acid to keep the pH low. The process is described in this post. You only have to lower your TA if you find that the pH tends to rise and that you are frequently having to add acid. To lower the TA it will take the same amount of acid no matter what method you use or if you just live with it over time as the TA will slowly drop -- the procedure just accelerates the process.

Others can help you with shelf life of various products.

Richard

Jaime,

There is only one effective way to lower the pH and that is to drive out carbon dioxide out of the water. You do that by lowering the pH to around 7.0 or 7.2 and then aerate the water while periodically adding acid to keep the pH low. The process is described in this post. You only have to lower your TA if you find that the pH tends to rise and that you are frequently having to add acid. To lower the TA it will take the same amount of acid no matter what method you use or if you just live with it over time as the TA will slowly drop -- the procedure just accelerates the process.

Others can help you with shelf life of various products.

Richard

I believe he meant to say "There is only one effective way to lower the TA", but I could be wrong... seems to make more sense that way.

Tony