saline system/low chlorine

Guest Jen in IN

Guest Jen in IN

I love my saline system. Beautiful water. NO ALGEA all summer. Just low chlorine even though I run the chlorine generator 12h+ per day. Only three in the family. What should I do to boost the chlorine level? Should I be shocking the pool? If so, how often? No one in our area is familiar with this system. Any advise is appreciated!!!!!

You could be having a low chlorine reading from not having enough of the salt in the water for the automatic generator to draw off of. I would have the salt level checked. If the salt level is ok then shocking may be needed. Find out the name of the company that manufactured the sanitation system on your pool and they may be able to direct you specifically what is needed and how much shock you should use for the size of your pool- if any at all. Usually the manual for a salt system will give you step by step instructions on how to check for these things... if you don't have one- the manufacturer should be able to provide this for you. I love the salt system on my pool! It really saves a lot of work. Best of luck!

Guest jeffroshu Cert. pool&spa opr

#1 I have been trained on the Nature Soft and Goldline Controls One of the most common problems faced with, especially this year, is the system will not generate at higher temps(note: some systems will read a message like "hot" or your green LED will be blinking where it says generating) it has been probably one of the hottest summers to date.

#2 also remember that those bags(shock) usually treat 10-15,000gal of pool water so if you are worried about the ppm's just use one bag when doing a maintenance shock.

#3 Amanda's right. make sure your reading on the salt gen control panel reads between 2600-3200ppm.the only way you can loose salt in the pool is if swimmers jump in alot.in other words, splashout on a regular basis=loss of the salt.Tim has a point too! not enough Cyanuric Acid(stabilizer) will cause the chl to burn off.

P.S. I have never trusted those salt strips much when testing. If you have the means and want to splurge for a real nice device for testing, local pool stores as well as builders can acquire from a wholesale co. an electronic(batteries) tester made by the Lamotte company. ...swim safe! :)