Replacing Hs Ozone Hoses

buffip

Guys,

been having trouble with my vanguard ozone. Check valve was broken (as in in 1/2). Replaced check valve, but noticed very little suction at ozone end. Poked around, and found hose was kinked in 2 places. The hose is VERY soft, and easily kinks. I had some BFG fuel injector hose (never been used) in garage, and substituted that for the flimsy crap.

Question: I am assuming the ozone and acid byproducts deterioriated the hose, thus making it so supple. Does HS use a specia ozone resistantl hose? Or can my BFG hose (MUCH more robust, and impossible to kink) fulfill ozone duty?

Looking for a way to ensure HS Ozone III is producing up to spec. Any ideas other than smell?

Thanks!

Guys,

been having trouble with my vanguard ozone. Check valve was broken (as in in 1/2). Replaced check valve, but noticed very little suction at ozone end. Poked around, and found hose was kinked in 2 places. The hose is VERY soft, and easily kinks. I had some BFG fuel injector hose (never been used) in garage, and substituted that for the flimsy crap.

Question: I am assuming the ozone and acid byproducts deterioriated the hose, thus making it so supple. Does HS use a specia ozone resistantl hose? Or can my BFG hose (MUCH more robust, and impossible to kink) fulfill ozone duty?

Looking for a way to ensure HS Ozone III is producing up to spec. Any ideas other than smell?

Thanks!

I'm sure you'll be much better off with the hose that you substituted. I'm not sure of any tests for ozone other than smell.

Guys,

Question: I am assuming the ozone and acid byproducts deterioriated the hose, thus making it so supple. Does HS use a special ozone resistant hose? Or can my BFG hose (MUCH more robust, and impossible to kink) fulfill ozone duty?

Thanks!

It is unusal for ozone to soften pliable materials. It is not unusal for the acid byproducts to do so. Material choices (in increasing lifespan) are: silicone, EPDM, Viton (black), hypalon (with no moisture), and any grade of teflon. In general, ozone attacks the chemicals added to soften any particular rubber formulation. Almost no grade of automotive hosing will survive application of ozone. Look for embrittlement and leaks.

Measuring ozone can be problematic. If you had good data on how the system behaved when new, with similar water quality it should behave similarly now.

Corona-discharge: If the cell is not blocked with "nitric", then as long as it is drawing the usual current, it is producing the usual amount of ozone.

UV: as the cell ages, metal "spalls" off the electrodes, oxidizes, and opaques the inner tube. Some stuff can coat the outer tube, so cleaning with water (wear gloves, no power applied) might help. Eventually the lamp no longer lights at all.

Detecting ozone leaks can be accomplished with a 1% potassium iodide solution. Dribble a little on a disposable rag or paper towel, and place over connections. Where the rag / towel turns brown the leak is located. Not that eductor-based systems have positive pressure to leak...

Guys,

Question: I am assuming the ozone and acid byproducts deterioriated the hose, thus making it so supple. Does HS use a special ozone resistant hose? Or can my BFG hose (MUCH more robust, and impossible to kink) fulfill ozone duty?

Thanks!

It is unusal for ozone to soften pliable materials. It is not unusal for the acid byproducts to do so. Material choices (in increasing lifespan) are: silicone, EPDM, Viton (black), hypalon (with no moisture), and any grade of teflon. In general, ozone attacks the chemicals added to soften any particular rubber formulation. Almost no grade of automotive hosing will survive application of ozone. Look for embrittlement and leaks.

Measuring ozone can be problematic. If you had good data on how the system behaved when new, with similar water quality it should behave similarly now.

Corona-discharge: If the cell is not blocked with "nitric", then as long as it is drawing the usual current, it is producing the usual amount of ozone.

UV: as the cell ages, metal "spalls" off the electrodes, oxidizes, and opaques the inner tube. Some stuff can coat the outer tube, so cleaning with water (wear gloves, no power applied) might help. Eventually the lamp no longer lights at all.

Detecting ozone leaks can be accomplished with a 1% potassium iodide solution. Dribble a little on a disposable rag or paper towel, and place over connections. Where the rag / towel turns brown the leak is located. Not that eductor-based systems have positive pressure to leak...

Dlzc,

Thanks for the info. Very informative. Will take an amp measure when I get home. BTW found a '30 second ozone test kit' Plugs inline and as long as tester is bleached white by ozone in 30 sec, you are good to go. Mine bleached in about 10 sec!

Thanks again