Hot Springs Subpanel

My son-in-law just bought a used Hot Springs (Watkins Mfg) Landmark and I got volunteered to hook it up for them. But the 240V subpanel was all rusted out and non-functional. This spa was wired up with a setup I had not seen before. It has 2 GFCI breakers in the subpanel, a 30A which must be for the heater, and a separate 20A breaker for the pump.

When we buy a replacement disconnect subpanel, do we have to go with the same setup (2 breakers) or can I just run it with a conventional 50A subpanel with just one double pole breaker?

Greatly appreciate any advice from someone familiar with these spas.

You must go with the same protection as what he had. You are right in that one breaker is for the heat and the other runs all of the rest of the spa - but it is important that each of these systems are protected with the correct breaker when you reconnect.

One 20 amp GFI breaker and one 30.

Depending upon the model and year, the heater may be on one or the other. If the heater is 4000 watts, it goes on the 20 amp breaker and has no neutral. If it is the 6000 watt unit, it goes to the 30 and has no nuetral. The other breaker has the nuetral wire.

Look it over carefully and make notes - then download a wiring diagram from the HS site and be sure it is correct.

B)

My son-in-law just bought a used Hot Springs (Watkins Mfg) Landmark and I got volunteered to hook it up for them. But the 240V subpanel was all rusted out and non-functional. This spa was wired up with a setup I had not seen before. It has 2 GFCI breakers in the subpanel, a 30A which must be for the heater, and a separate 20A breaker for the pump.

When we buy a replacement disconnect subpanel, do we have to go with the same setup (2 breakers) or can I just run it with a conventional 50A subpanel with just one double pole breaker?

Of course Chas is right on...good question to ask though. I can't tell you how many people just try to wire the tub with a 50 amp breaker and mess it up. Better to ask and get it right!

Chip--You definitely want to use the same breakdown of the 30 amp and 20 amp GFCI breakers to re-connect a Landmark. Doing anything different could cause damage to components inside the tub, and cause your son-in-law more grief and cost that you were hoping to avoid by helping out with the wiring. I imagine there is a local Hot Spring dealer near you where you could purchase the correct sub panel so you can do the wiring as specified for the tub. Good luck...it's a great tub!

I appreciate all the great advice from you guys! He got a great deal on the Landmark ($250) and it looks like it will be a good spa for them on their budget (once we get it cleaned up). It belonged to a widow lady... and I have to tell you this thing stinks inside like a West Texas outhouse in mid-August! She says it had been sitting with stagnant water in it for several years and she had caught her 2 young grand sons ages 6 and 9, using it as a urinal :lol: for quite some time. Boys will be boys! After we get it running we will clean it out good and run some Spa System Flush through it, decontaminate, and replace the filters and cover and should be good to go for under $1000 total!

I appreciate all the great advice from you guys! He got a great deal on the Landmark ($250) and it looks like it will be a good spa for them on their budget (once we get it cleaned up). It belonged to a widow lady... and I have to tell you this thing stinks inside like a West Texas outhouse in mid-August! She says it had been sitting with stagnant water in it for several years and she had caught her 2 young grand sons ages 6 and 9, using it as a urinal :lol: for quite some time. Boys will be boys! After we get it running we will clean it out good and run some Spa System Flush through it, decontaminate, and replace the filters and cover and should be good to go for under $1000 total!

Sounds like a great deal. Clean the inside as best you can, fill it with water to the bottom of the pillows, super chlorinate the water, run the pumps for 20 minutes or so, leave it be for at least a day (turning the pumps on periodically), use the system flush and drain.