Problem, Need Advice And Help

wolfgang

I've got an automatic chlorinator and when I add tablets to it and turn the pump back on, the jets start streaming out tons of dirt and clouds the pool up terribly!

I assume it's doing this because of taking the cap off of the chlorinator, it releases the pressure on the system and I can hear the water draining down out of the sand filter. Then, when I turn it back on, all of the dirt that has become dislodged from the sand filter can easily work it's way though and out to the jets.

So, just for clarification, here's what's happening.

Per instructions on chlorinator, I turn off my pump.

Unscrew cap off of chlorinator...at this point I can hear air bubbling up through the filter and pool pump because of the pressure release.

Add tablets

Put cap back on.

Turn on pump

Sand filter starts filling up again with water......and here comes tons of dirt out of my jets.....clouding up the pool very VERY VERY badly!

What am I doing wrong?

yuck. I have a chlorine feeder in my system and was intrigued by your problem. I have observed the same things when adding tablets to the chlorine feeder (pressure release, sounds of water draining and air being inserted into the system). I do not have the problem with dirt being pumped into the system when starting it up.

When I turn my main pump off, I close all the valves to the pool to prevent air from getting into the lines to the pool.

I assume your sand filter has been backwashed regularly to remove dirt/sediment from it.

not much help, but will watch this post for replies from others....

good luck.

yuck. I have a chlorine feeder in my system and was intrigued by your problem. I have observed the same things when adding tablets to the chlorine feeder (pressure release, sounds of water draining and air being inserted into the system). I do not have the problem with dirt being pumped into the system when starting it up.

When I turn my main pump off, I close all the valves to the pool to prevent air from getting into the lines to the pool.

I assume your sand filter has been backwashed regularly to remove dirt/sediment from it.

not much help, but will watch this post for replies from others....

good luck.

I don't have any way to shut off the lines and keep the pressure from releasing. Unless maybe I put the sand filter on "CLOSE"???? Would that "hold" the water in it and keep this from happening?

I have a lever that I can switch from SKIMMER to VAC (which is the side / suction for plugging in the vac) and there's no way to shut these both down. It's either one or the other or a combo of the two.

And yes, I've backwashed the filter and rinsed too....quite often and this still happens.

Need help! Tired of flooding my pool with dirt when adding tablets!

I assume you have tried doing a backwash first before adding tablets to see if that makes any difference at all in level of dirt. however, I can't understand where dirty water is being stored and not filtered until you shut off the pump. does shutting off the pump and turning it back on (without opening the feeder) produce the same result of dirty water?

strange. I am at a loss and someone who knows the plumbing better on your pool would need to get involved.

good luck.

I assume you have tried doing a backwash first before adding tablets to see if that makes any difference at all in level of dirt. however, I can't understand where dirty water is being stored and not filtered until you shut off the pump. does shutting off the pump and turning it back on (without opening the feeder) produce the same result of dirty water?

strange. I am at a loss and someone who knows the plumbing better on your pool would need to get involved.

good luck.

does shutting off the pump and turning it back on (without opening the feeder) produce the same result of dirty water?

No....the dirty water only comes after I open the chlorinator and allow the air to get into the lines and also allowing the sand filter to "drain". I assume this allows all the lodged dirt to work free and make it's way to the pool.