Sundance Spas

q95

In my area, Sundance, Hot Springs and Artesian seem to lead the pack. There are a few others, Dimension One and some other brands. Jacuzzi is sold about 40 miles away.

I'm leaning toward a Sundance. Comfort, feel, price & value. The dealer is great and I've talked to some very happy customers.

I'd like to hear from some people that have purchased Sundance in the past year. What features do you like best, what is your satisfaction level, etc.

I'm looking at the Sundance Certa but also considering bumping up to the Altamar. Both the same size, differnt heater, jets, hand/wrist jet, different filter system, etc. The package deal (cover, lift, steps, chemical starter pack, delivery), before negotiation, on the Certa is $6,400 and the Altamar is $8,200.

Please don't turn this into a thread on "other" brands. Problems noted by Sundance customers are fine, but I'd rather not turn this into a bashing (by non-Sundance owners) thread.

I'm especially intersted in opinions from Certa or Altamar owners.

We have a 2007 Optima...purchased back in August. I have nothing to complain about. So far, it has been trouble free...except for the learning curve I needed for water chemistry, but that is a whole different topic :wacko: .

We did not get any extra features...just the simple, basic package. So, I can't comment on any of the extras. No extras needed for us anyway, we mostly just sit and soak in the hot water...rarely even turning on the jets.

There is one thing I had reservations about, and that was the disposable filter. I didn't like the idea of spending $100 - $120 every 3 - 6 months for a new filter. The dealer claimed it would save me that much in chemicals since the filter would reduce the amount chemicals needed. I have since found out that you can get washable filters for this tub, of which I have 2...one clean and on a shelf while the other is in use. With this washable filter, I don't use anywhere near $100 every 6 months in chemicals. So, the dealers claim that the disposable filter would pay for itself in checmicals did not hold true for me.

We wet tested Sundance and Hot Springs (no others close to us). We first went to the Hot Springs dealer and tested the Envoy, then drove across town and immediately tested the Optima. For our needs and taste, there was no comparison. Within minutes of being in the Sundance, we knew that was the one we wanted. Now, the Sundance suited our needs best, your needs and taste could be very different...if you have not wet tested yet, I strongly encourage you to do so. There is truly no other way to know for sure.

Good luck and enjoy!!!

Thanks for starting this. We too are looking at Sundance I do like the Maxxus, seemed the jets were a little stronger than the Optima in one of the corner seats. We also happen to have room for it in a hidden corner of our deck. We tried them both out.

They have a demo 07, but I might go for an 08 with the new bottom. Are the 07's still sealed at the bottom?

I can not answer your question. I don't know what Sundance has done differently from 07 to 08. Plus, I don't know what you mean by "still sealed at the bottom". Apparently, whatever knowledge you have about the bottom is not something I was aware of when I purchased my 07 Optima. You've piqued my curiosity...could you elaborate?

We also considered the Maxxus...it was a wonderful tub. But, the lounger did not fit either of us properly so we decided not to put the money out for it.

I have heard that the '08 and '07 are very similar, not many changes. What my dealer says (from info-emails that Sundance has sent their dealers), I don't believe he's actually received an '08 yet, is that:

(1) the lights, at least in the 780 line, are brighter ... and no increased electricity. It sounds like they're pretty efficient LED lights.

(2) the botttom has an improved design. I believe the '07 has a sheet of poly (thick plastic) that is like 1/8 " thick (approx, from my seeing it at the showroom). I'd like to see some literature to see what its actually like, my guess is that its "improved", but not a big enough deal to order an '08 if they have a deal on an '07 they're trying to move.

Please post if anyone has any more info on the '08 changes (either 780 or 880 line). I wish Sundance would put the info on their website or in their '08 folding brochure (small one-sheet or come out with their '08 thick book).

The wife and I are in the market for our first tub. We looked at D1, Hotsprings, Coleman and Sundance.

We feel that dollar for dollar, we will be getting a more of a tub by going with the Sundance.

Bryan,

Just curious, what specific Sundance tub (or tubs) are you looking at ?

Also, what's your dealer telling you about the ozonator ... mine suggests omitting it (due to break-down of pillows and under side of cover). I think I'm going with his suggesion, partially due to what I'm reading here. I do want to talk to him a bit about the Sundance "SunPurity Mineral Spa Purifier".

My previous hot tub had ozone, and melted foam parts the cover. Eventually I turned it off, and switched from bromine to chlorine. Still went through lots of covers! I bought my old spa in 1990, and it has been up on blocks of a couple of years now. The shell is great, but thats about it!

According to the 08 brochure there is a new "synthetic" base. The dealer said the 07 was wood, but I did not look closely at it, not sure what the difference is.

My previous hot tub had ozone, and melted foam parts the cover. Eventually I turned it off, and switched from bromine to chlorine. Still went through lots of covers! I bought my old spa in 1990, and it has been up on blocks of a couple of years now. The shell is great, but thats about it!

According to the 08 brochure there is a new "synthetic" base. The dealer said the 07 was wood, but I did not look closely at it, not sure what the difference is.

Thanks. I'm guessing that the bottom part of the frame has switched from treated wood (painted/coated too) to a synthetic material (probably what many people are putting down as deck flooring). I'd think it would be structurally sound (equivalent to wood) and have additional life due to being more moisture/mildew resistant. A good thing, but I don't know if its enough to pass a deal, if there are any, on an '07 that the dealer is trying to move.

I chose to go with the 50 amp breaker on my 2007 Optima. Perhaps you already know this, but the difference is, at least for the Optima, the heater will not come on if both jet pumps are running...the heater will work normally if only 1 jet pump is running. In order to have the heater function when both jet pumps are running, I would need the 60 amp breaker and a change on the control panel (not sure if this is a programming change, or a wiring/jumper change).

So, the questions would be...what climate do you live in...how long do you plan to soak...do you plan to run both pumps the entire time you are soaking...what are the odds the water temp. would drop enough while both pumps are running? Only you can decide if the answers to these questions warrant the 60 amp breaker and the modification to the contraol panel. As I understand it, the modifications to the control panel is a rather simple task...the delivery guys could probably do it if you ask them.

The wife and I are in the market for our first tub. We looked at D1, Hotsprings, Coleman and Sundance.

We feel that dollar for dollar, we will be getting a more of a tub by going with the Sundance.

Bryan,

Just curious, what specific Sundance tub (or tubs) are you looking at ?

Also, what's your dealer telling you about the ozonator ... mine suggests omitting it (due to break-down of pillows and under side of cover). I think I'm going with his suggesion, partially due to what I'm reading here. I do want to talk to him a bit about the Sundance "SunPurity Mineral Spa Purifier".

We went into the Sundance dealer to check out the dover. Found that it was too small. Looked at the Capri and found it to be the same size. I will check out the Certa, but I think my wife has her mind set to the Cameo. He wants to sell us the floor model for 9400. I will see if it is a 08 or 07 model. So I should avoid the ozonator???

Today, I purchased an '08 Sundance Altamar. It should be at my house in 10 to 14 days ... hopefully the concrete pad and electricity will be there and ready before that. I'm excited and so is my wife.

I chose the Altamar over the Certa for the upgrades: pumps, jet types, chrome jets, wrist jets, air jets & control panel to name a few. The price difference was about $1,500. My total cost for the new Altamar (inclding upgraded steps, cover, lift, chemical starter set and delivery) was $8,700 (includes tax, which is 7.5% for me).

Today, I purchased an '08 Sundance Altamar. It should be at my house in 10 to 14 days ... hopefully the concrete pad and electricity will be there and ready before that. I'm excited and so is my wife.

I chose the Altamar over the Certa for the upgrades: pumps, jet types, chrome jets, wrist jets, air jets & control panel to name a few. The price difference was about $1,500. My total cost for the new Altamar (inclding upgraded steps, cover, lift, chemical starter set and delivery) was $8,700 (includes tax, which is 7.5% for me).

I think you made a wise choise. Congratulations. Great spa.

• 5 months later...

Q95 (or any other Altamar owners), you've had your SD Altamar for several months now. How do you like it? Any regrets? I'm very close to pulling the trigger on one myself :D

We are first time Hot Tubbers. I bought the Certa, on sale, i thought ,till i saw your price... beats mine. BUT that being said... we have had it for a few weeks, love using it, getting use to the up keep,ie water maintenance. More than i thought. But we do like it... it has enough power if i divert the jets to one side to almost blows me out of the recliner. but we are only 3 weeks into it and not much to compare to. But i would say we are pretty happy with it. its suppose to be a 6 seater.. but i find 5 adults fill it up , 6 would be a bit tight.

In my area, Sundance, Hot Springs and Artesian seem to lead the pack. There are a few others, Dimension One and some other brands. Jacuzzi is sold about 40 miles away.

I'm leaning toward a Sundance. Comfort, feel, price & value. The dealer is great and I've talked to some very happy customers.

I'd like to hear from some people that have purchased Sundance in the past year. What features do you like best, what is your satisfaction level, etc.

I'm looking at the Sundance Certa but also considering bumping up to the Altamar. Both the same size, differnt heater, jets, hand/wrist jet, different filter system, etc. The package deal (cover, lift, steps, chemical starter pack, delivery), before negotiation, on the Certa is $6,400 and the Altamar is $8,200.

Please don't turn this into a thread on "other" brands. Problems noted by Sundance customers are fine, but I'd rather not turn this into a bashing (by non-Sundance owners) thread.

I'm especially intersted in opinions from Certa or Altamar owners.

• 2 weeks later...

We purchased a Sundance Maxxus in 2004. It is for our rental property in the Poconos. Seems you can't get a full rental calendar without a spa nowadays. It seats 8-9 comfortably. The only issues we have had, have been replacement of the mother board..thankfully it was under warranty, and the temp sensor also went bad. I always make sure I stand by and watch as the service is performed so I will know the repair processes once the warranty is done. I am now in the search for a new ozonator. Didn't know they only last a few years. Drat!