Newbie With A Bird Problem....yes A Bird Problem

Bought a home Nov. Just opened the inground pool. I thought I had it figured out....been educating myself with this forum. Got pool balanced....Water tested great....and then the invasion of the birds happened. I have a severe bird poop problem. I have to hose down the concrete patio around the pool at least three times a day....not to mention skim out all of the poop that gets into the pool. Is it just the time of year with all of the nests and baby birds or am I in big trouble? Anybody have a similar situation? Solutions?

Since this isn't a pool problem I can answer it. The solution is quite simple, identify and eliminate the bird attractant. If the water is attracting ducks/geese I would be eating well and have a full freezer with the surplus. If birds are roosting in overhead trees, the trees will as a minimum need to be trimmed back from above the pool, perhaps even removed. Companies sell repellent. Most of them smell pretty bad and need to be reapplied after heavy rains. Usually only effective for birds like geese that forage heavily on grass. It makes it taste bad so they move on.

Since this isn't a pool problem I can answer it. The solution is quite simple, identify and eliminate the bird attractant. If the water is attracting ducks/geese I would be eating well and have a full freezer with the surplus. If birds are roosting in overhead trees, the trees will as a minimum need to be trimmed back from above the pool, perhaps even removed. Companies sell repellent. Most of them smell pretty bad and need to be reapplied after heavy rains. Usually only effective for birds like geese that forage heavily on grass. It makes it taste bad so they move on.

The issue are blackbirds. Our neighbors behind us have many very tall old trees that are about 70 feet in height. I believe there are some nests in these trees. I guess I need to look for some repellent for around my pool?

I have the same problem. I have grackles that like to crap in and around the pool. I ignore them and scrub the droppings every once in a while. I look at it this way - a couple of drops of bird poop in a 20,000 gallon tub of water - what's it going to do? Not much. Too diluted.

If you really want to solve the problem, there are two ways - 1) a bird chasing dog or cat 2) string fishing line around the perimeter of the pool. The fishing line prevents the birds from landing but might prevent you from enjoying the pool.

Plastic owls don't work. Trust me.

I have the same problem. I have grackles that like to crap in and around the pool. I ignore them and scrub the droppings every once in a while. I look at it this way - a couple of drops of bird poop in a 20,000 gallon tub of water - what's it going to do? Not much. Too diluted.

If you really want to solve the problem, there are two ways - 1) a bird chasing dog or cat 2) string fishing line around the perimeter of the pool. The fishing line prevents the birds from landing but might prevent you from enjoying the pool.

Try hanging those shiny ribbon-like things - or a BB gun! lol

I don't know what to tell you either, I was working a liner job this week and it looked like I got paintballed in crap. Nasty!!!!I will look into it,if I ca=ome up with something,i will let you know.

I don't know what to tell you either, I was working a liner job this week and it looked like I got paintballed in crap. Nasty!!!!I will look into it,if I come up with something,i will let you know.

I don't know what to tell you either, I was working a liner job this week and it looked like I got paintballed in crap. Nasty!!!!I will look into it,if I come up with something,i will let you know.

I researched some more online and it seems they are dropping "fecal sacks" from their babies into my pool. It should end once the babies learn to fly.....about two weeks long. I am hanging in there for a few more days...which should be the two week time frame. I will let you know if the pooping ends :)

I researched some more online and it seems they are dropping "fecal sacks" from their babies into my pool. It should end once the babies learn to fly.....about two weeks long. I am hanging in there for a few more days...which should be the two week time frame. I will let you know if the pooping ends :)

Looks like the babies have flown the nest as the poop bombardment of the pool has stopped. HOORAY. It did take two weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
Bought a home Nov. Just opened the inground pool. I thought I had it figured out....been educating myself with this forum. Got pool balanced....Water tested great....and then the invasion of the birds happened. I have a severe bird poop problem. I have to hose down the concrete patio around the pool at least three times a day....not to mention skim out all of the poop that gets into the pool. Is it just the time of year with all of the nests and baby birds or am I in big trouble? Anybody have a similar situation? Solutions?

I had this same problem. I've had my pool for 13 years and had no problems until about 5 years ago. It's depressing to look out everyday and see 50 to a 100 poops that perpetuate if you don't keep on top of it. I had to hose my pool several times a day and hand vac when the kids want to go in(I usually use auto vac but kids want to go right in). When you hit 5 years you want to pull your hair out. I didn't realize until this year that the birds, grackles in my case which look like a small crow, are dropping the poop out of their mouths. It dawned on me that they must be cleaning out nests. I've tried all the things listed in your replies and nothing worked but my credit card. My last resort was to evict the birds. I love animals but I was at my wits end. You have to remove the nests from your property. Since I did this I have not had a single poop in or out of my pool and I smile when I look at it now. Where I had 100 plus grackles flying around my yard I now only see a few in my neighbors yard. Good luck.

I had this same problem. I've had my pool for 13 years and had no problems until about 5 years ago. It's depressing to look out everyday and see 50 to a 100 poops that perpetuate if you don't keep on top of it. I had to hose my pool several times a day and hand vac when the kids want to go in(I usually use auto vac but kids want to go right in). When you hit 5 years you want to pull your hair out. I didn't realize until this year that the birds, grackles in my case which look like a small crow, are dropping the poop out of their mouths. It dawned on me that they must be cleaning out nests. I've tried all the things listed in your replies and nothing worked but my credit card. My last resort was to evict the birds. I love animals but I was at my wits end. You have to remove the nests from your property. Since I did this I have not had a single poop in or out of my pool and I smile when I look at it now. Where I had 100 plus grackles flying around my yard I now only see a few in my neighbors yard. Good luck.

I am in the middle of the same problem right now and I have resolved that next spring, this will be my approach as well. I plan on purchasing a good sized ladder and eliminating nests as soon as they appear. Right now it's madness, although it's good to know from reading these posts that the end may be near.

I am in the middle of the same problem right now and I have resolved that next spring, this will be my approach as well. I plan on purchasing a good sized ladder and eliminating nests as soon as they appear. Right now it's madness, although it's good to know from reading these posts that the end may be near.

Try a telescoping pruner. Ours goes to about 20 feet. You stay on the ground. No moving the ladder necessary. You can just push the nests out. Works great. the grackles love evergreen trees. My yard is lined with them and this is where they live.

I've been placing rubber snakes around my pool and the birds no longer poop around the pool.