Installer

jcs1956

I have called all over town,All the dealers want is for customers to install an INGROUND pool!!

It is shocking that not a soul in town will install a NEW POOL still in the boxes.What do they want you to do.Throw this one out and purchase a new one.Thanks eveyone for allowing me to vent.

Jennifer

Come on fellow poolers,,,,,any Ideas on how to find an installer.....

my kids are starting to think they won't have a pool for summer :(

Have you thought about doing it yourself? We installed our pool last year, we learned alot in the process, but we did it. Getting the gound level is key. We had a friend come in with a sod cutter to help with this process and used the snow plow on the tractor to clear the extra dirt and what not. You could probably call a landacaping company if you don't have the means to do it yourself. Then we burried patio bricks where the uprights went and put down a layer of sand (small amount). Getting the walls up was the hardest part! We had 5 people helping and got it up in about an hour. The most important thing we learned at this portion is to go ahead and put up the smaller top rail (not sure what it is called) and the center post srew thingies (not sure what they are called either.) The reason this is important is because if the wind blows it will knock down the walls (we learned this the hard way), and for some strange reason this small piece of metal gave the pool walls enough stregnth to stay standing. We used the blue foam insulation (from Lowe's) as a "padding" instead of sand and blew threw about 20 rolls of duck tape to join them all together. We cut the holes for the skimmer and return where we wanted them using a drill to start the hole and tin snips to cut. Then we covered the area with roll on bed liner stuff available at any parts store, this was just an added layer of rust protection. Next we put in the liner and and installed the top rails, added a little bit of water and got all the wrinkles out. It was smooth sailing at this point. We installed screws at the uprights on the patio blocks to ensure that the pool wouldn't move before we had the water delivered. I have put togerther alot of things, and I would have to say that this was easier than the metal swing set. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Ditto what Jason said about Craigslist.

Last year I called around all over and like you said, all I could find was inground pool installers. Also there is a large chain store that sells aboveground pools and they have installers, but said that their own pools came first, and if their installers had time they might get to us.

Yes...we went an entire year with the pool kit in the garage. Boy, was that a sad year. Actually it wasn't just the installer problem, we had other issues to address to get the site ready.

Anyway...this spring I posted an ad on Craigslist asking for installers. We got several replies but ended up going with a guy who posted his own ad there offering "swimming pools installed cheap." Turned out he was an installer for the above mentioned chain store but did his own jobs on the side and charged us about $100 less than the chain store would have. Go figure!