Chlorine Levels in Pool

Guest Kristen

I have one of the Easy-Set Pools from Wal-Mart. The PH and alkalinity is low (Ph is like around 6.6 and alkalinity's only like 20, but the water doesn't feel at all irritating), and I have to put shock treatment every day to keep the chlorine level up. I thought you only used this once a week! Should I have another source of chlorine? I don't want to put much money into this pool, as it is a cheap pool that only cost about $170.

Yes, low PH and Alkalinity will "eat up" your chlorine so to speak because the water is on the acidic side, as well, most shocks will not give you a chlorine reading for long, you may want to use a more stable chlorine along with the shock, either that, or simply drain the water more frequently, how many gallons is it?

Actually, the lower the pH, the better chlorine can work....to a point. Adding chlorine raises the pH, or makes water more alkaline. This is not good for the chlorine, as it needs a lower pH to work to it's full capacity. What you need Kristen is stabilizer/conditioner. Can be had at home depot or walmart. Also called CYA or cyuranic acid, it will stabilize the chlorine so you don't have to use so much. If you want to save money on pool chemicals, remember the 3 b's....

BLEACH, BORAX , AND BAKING SODA. All these you can get at the grocery store and are alot cheaper that pool stores. Bleach chlorinates, baking soda and borax are for raising/lowering pH and alk. You also need to probably get a bottle of clarifier...all it does is binds to the algae and gunk and enable it to be vacced off bottom or thru skimmer. Shock treatment is chlorine, just like bleach. Regular tabs and granular is chlorine, just like bleach...but tabs have CYA in them, and too much of that is a big no-no! That's why I only chlorinate with bleach, shocking and maintenance dosing. Email me if you want to know more.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, the lower the pH, the better chlorine can work....to a point. Adding chlorine raises the pH, or makes water more alkaline. This is not good for the chlorine, as it needs a lower pH to work to it's full capacity. What you need Kristen is stabilizer/conditioner. Can be had at home depot or walmart. Also called CYA or cyuranic acid, it will stabilize the chlorine so you don't have to use so much. If you want to save money on pool chemicals, remember the 3 b's....

BLEACH, BORAX , AND BAKING SODA. All these you can get at the grocery store and are alot cheaper that pool stores. Bleach chlorinates, baking soda and borax are for raising/lowering pH and alk. You also need to probably get a bottle of clarifier...all it does is binds to the algae and gunk and enable it to be vacced off bottom or thru skimmer. Shock treatment is chlorine, just like bleach. Regular tabs and granular is chlorine, just like bleach...but tabs have CYA in them, and too much of that is a big no-no! That's why I only chlorinate with bleach, shocking and maintenance dosing. Email me if you want to know more.

Can you send me some more info about the BBB on my email mikica66@excite.com

Kristen, here's a good pool calculator page....

http://www.ohio-pool.com/PoolCalculator.htm

You definitely need some stabilizer/conditioner in your pool (also called cyuranic acid or CYA). It keeps chlorine in your pool by stabilizing it from UV rays. You can get it at walmart or hdepot in a big and little size.

Go to the pool calculator page and find out how much you need for the small pool you have...I'd guess about

12 oz. would do. You can either put it in the skimmer and it will go into the filter and dissolve, or you can put it in a heavy panty hose or sock and let it dissolve directly into pool water. Do not let it come in contact with the liner...it is an ACID and not good for a liner. There are many other pool calc's on the net, just plug in the numbers and add to pool while pump is ON. If you don't have a test kit, walmart has a 5 way kit for about

$15. Once the CYA has dissolved into water completely (usually takes a week), get the kit and do the CYA test. This late in the season, I prolly wouldn't test just yet, just add the amount of CYA and forget it until next season when you open pool. I say this because you may lose some CYA over the winter and you only get enough chems to do the CYA test twice.