Pool Filter Leaks D.e.

JFS

Have Purex SMBW2048 filter. Last 2 times I removed and cleaned filters D.E. shot back in pool (a lot).

Have inspected filters for tears and manifold for cracks.Someone suggested rotary valve at bottom of tank has bad seals or o-ring.After vaccuming a couple of times D.E. is back on filter I THINK and prob good till next I backwash.

Is there some way to troubleshoot prob without tearing things apart.I also service and maintain my pool and equip, is this valve something I can tackle on my own or should I leave it to experts.

Pool is 20 years old and other than replacing filter panels I have not done any other maintenance on Purex Filter.The handle on the valve does however slide much harder than it originally did if this is an indication of anything.

Wheres the cheapest place on-line to buy parts, the pool stores charge a fortune.

THANKS-Joe

Does it only blow D.E. into the pool when you first turn it on, or does it continue to blow D.E. or other debris on after that?

If it is just blowing it in when you first turn it on after you clean the grids, you could just be getting DE in the pipes when you remove the grids. If you have a multiport valve (as compared to a push-pull valve) you can set it to rinse and run it for a few seconds to flush out that DE through the backwash line instead of letting it go to the pool.

If it is blowing other debris through, or continuing to blow DE through after the first few seconds, there is a leak somewhere that is allowing water to bypass the grids. Perhaps a hole in the grids, or in the manifold they attach to.

Does it only blow D.E. into the pool when you first turn it on, or does it continue to blow D.E. or other debris on after that?

If it is just blowing it in when you first turn it on after you clean the grids, you could just be getting DE in the pipes when you remove the grids. If you have a multiport valve (as compared to a push-pull valve) you can set it to rinse and run it for a few seconds to flush out that DE through the backwash line instead of letting it go to the pool.

If it is blowing other debris through, or continuing to blow DE through after the first few seconds, there is a leak somewhere that is allowing water to bypass the grids. Perhaps a hole in the grids, or in the manifold they attach to.

checked grids and manifold for tears or cracks, none. It is push/pull valve, thats why I suspect problem is with seals in this rotary valve at bottom of tank. I have never attempted to remove this valve and was hoping someone who has could inform me as to what to expect.THANKS

It could definitely be a leak in that push-pull valve. They are not too hard to take apart. Just a few screws at the top, and the whole assembly pulls out. Do it carefully though, as it can be very tight, and the gaskets/o-rings can bind it up as you pull it out. Be careful not to break it as you do so. If you want, buy another valve, and pull the guts out of yours, then replace them with the new guts. No plumbing needed that way, and the housing very seldom fails.